NU ponders pal program at University of Illinois

The International Students Club, an organization dedicated to assimilating foreign students into U.S. culture, is considering expanding its scope to include a buddy program that would pair international students with American counterparts.

The Northwestern club mirrors the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s International Buddy Program, but its current practices lack some services the buddy system provides.

The University of Illinois Buddy Program pairs each international student with a domestic student who previously has studied abroad. The program expanded in the spring and since has paired more than 150 international students with domestic volunteers.

“The students use it as a resource,” said Elaine Yin, assistant director of the University of Illinois’ Office of International Student Affairs. “They don’t know where to shop, are unaware of campus activities and are unfamiliar with fraternities and sororities.”

She encourages buddies to get together at least two times each week in hopes students also will make informal plans.

Like those involved in the Buddy Program, members of NU’s International Students Club wish to ease the cultural transition for international students. The club, comprising both international and domestic students, meets monthly and holds mixers and other social events.

According to Jennifer Phillips, an assistant at NU’s International Office, the club’s goal is to “bridge all cultures into one.” But the club lacks the ongoing longevity of a buddy system, Phillips said.

“(A buddy system) would be a helpful program at Northwestern,” Phillips said. “I would like to see it orchestrated by the International Club.”

Anshu Dabriwala, co-president of the International Students Club, would like to see this program added to the list of the group events.

“I personally think the buddy system is a good program,” said Dabriwala, a McCormick junior.

NU offers additional opportunities for foreign students. The International American Women Club meets monthly. In another program, international students are paired with Evanston residents, called “foster parents,” as a way for them to get to know U.S. culture, Phillips said.

McCormick sophomore Colin Tan sees his foster parents about once every two weeks. He said he found this helpful, but still would appreciate a buddy system.

“It would have been helpful to have an upperclassman to talk to you before you move in,” Tan said.

Camila Penna, a McCormick junior from Brazil, said she is a skeptical of a buddy program, which she thinks could be superficial.

Penna said the Greek system helped her adjust to American society and that international students have the tools necessary to tap the NU social scene.

“We live in the dorms, have access to rush, and take the same classes as everyone else,” Penna said. “We just need help understanding those opportunities.”

Although Tan and Penna have had few problems developing friendships with both international and domestic students, not all international students found American friends as easily. A buddy system could introduce a social outlet that could prevent a completely isolated recreation of students’ own cultures within the campus, a trend both Phillips and Tan have observed.

“Students have a hard time meeting American students, getting to know them and really befriending them,” Phillips said.