DM breaks tradition with social beneficiary in 2003

Dance Marathon announced the Midtown Educational Foundation as its next beneficiary at its launch party Tuesday, making 2003 the first in 29 years that DM will support a social rather than medical cause.

The Midtown Educational Foundation supports inner-city youth through two community centers in Chicago. It works with students through their senior year of high school, and in the past two years, 100 percent of the program’s participants have gotten into college, said DM executive co-chairman Zack Hall, a Speech junior.

“We all knew that (the foundation) was the best fit for DM,” Hall said. “They have so many things going for them.”

The DM executive board selected the beneficiary on May 19 after narrowing down an initial pool of 50 applicants. The foundation’s executive director and liaison Philip Brach said the organization has numerous connections to Northwestern, including NU students who went through the program. Hall said a lot of NU students already tutor at its educational centers. The charity’s focus on middle school and high school students will allow DM participants to connect with young participants in the program, Brach said.

“What should motivate the kids is they have the opportunity to help the kids,” he said.

Brach said he and Hall believe DM can still make a difference by supporting a social cause.

“(When) we help (the foundation), we may produce the doctor who may produce the cure,” Brach said.

Next year NU students will have numerous opportunities to volunteer with the charity. Hall said MEF will “bend over backwards” to work with DM, even to the point of sending its own vans to pick up students to volunteer.

“We really like the fact that they also focus on character, education and service in addition to academics,” Hall said.

DM executive co-chairwoman Emily Wessel said (Midtown Educational) is a cause that really coordinates with the goals of DM and NU.

“(The foundation) addresses the problem of poverty. The solution is education,” said Wessel, a Weinberg junior.

In addition to hearing the beneficiary announcement at McCormick Auditorium, approximately 70 students at the launch party listened to the music of Speech senior Spencer Bates, saw a performance by Graffiti Dancers and watched the DM 2002 commemorative video. Hall and Wessel also introduced the new executive board.

Bates began the evening, playing keyboard and singing both well-known songs, such as Elton John’s “Crocodile Rock,” as well songs from his debut album, “Everybody Has A Song.” He gave an encore performance at the end with John’s “Tiny Dancer.”

“If I catch you yawning, I’m going to bring you up here and sing with me,” Bates joked to his audience, referring to his numerous love songs, mixed in with more upbeat tunes.

Bates said he will donate half of the proceeds from his CDs sold on Tuesday to DM.

Following his performance and the announcement of the charity, the 2002 emcees, Robbie Paymer and Dave Sears, showed last DM’s commemorative video about the work of DM and its 2002 charity, Friends for Steven.

The launch party kicked off the spirit of DM 2003, and afterward audience members could use their ticket stubs to get in free to DM’s first special event of the year, a bar night at Prairie Moon.

Hall said he is looking forward to working with the foundation and taking DM in a new direction.