Carnival honors guests’ needs

Soccer balls flew, a duck played the guitar and the football team met its match Saturday as Northwestern’s first Developmental Disability Day raged on at Trienens Practice Facility, unfazed by the storm that forced the carnival inside.

About 60 students attended the carnival, joining about 100 student volunteers and 100 guests of all ages with developmental disabilities, such as Down syndrome.

“Initially I was worried how Northwestern students would interact with our developmentally disabled guests because we don’t have people like them here,” said event co-founder Katie Bienen, an Education junior. “I was worried that (students) would stay within their own social groups, but they’re really taking on new relationships.”

DJ Jay Sims supplied the carnival with constant music while attendees wandered between the 21 carnival booths run by philanthropic and Greek organizations. Along with mini-skee ball and “roller bowler,” carnival-goers challenged NU football players to arm wrestling.

“I think I’m 0-56 on the day, ” said Matt Anderson, a 286-pound defensive tackle and a Speech junior.

Other carnival attractions included an inflatable moonwalk and a petting zoo. The zoo, set up in a tent outside the field, included a turkey, an alligator, a duck who played the guitar with its beak and Rascal the raccoon, a pianist.

“Some people have been scared of the animals, but we’ve been really enjoying it – although we’re getting wet,” said animal trainer Kris Jarlow.

Festivities were halted periodically to make time for two speakers and a performance by the Titanic Players. Undergraduate Leadership Program Prof. Paul Arntson, who teaches Community Integration of Labeled People, spoke about celebrating differences.

“We don’t want people’s special needs to separate them from each other,” Arntson said. “We find gifts out of our differences. Our differences make us special.”

Bienen and Education sophomore Randy Tosch proposed the events several months ago to Srikanth Reddy, former Associated Student Government executive vice president. The committee of three soon grew to 20 members.

The group unanimously agreed that the day was a successful start to what they hope will become an annual event.

“When else would you see 250 NU students and 150 others hanging out together and having a good time?” said Reddy, a McCormick junior. “It’s overwhelming for us how well it worked out.”

Tosch was moved to tears by the day, which he saw as a culmination of months of hard work and a sign of hope for community integration.

“I’ve never been so impressed with a group of people,” he said. “I brought 20 people together and shared this idea, and to see it come together now is incredible. People are afraid of people with disabilities, but this is what everyone should be doing – celebrating our differences.”