NU junior debates his way to top spot for second year

Northwestern remains the home of the top speaker in the nation based on the Speech Team’s performance at the National Forensic Association’s Individual Events Tournament this week.

The eight-member team placed sixth in the nation at the tournament, held April 18 to 22 at Berry College in Rome, Ga.

Weinberg junior Aaron Winters was named top speaker for the second year in a row and placed second in the Lincoln-Douglas debate category, a form of one-on-one competition.

Speech sophomore Ivan Chen also took home an award, placing fourth in extemporaneous speaking.

NU students also brought back two semifinalist and three quarterfinalist awards, head coach Ric Roe wrote in an e-mail. NU students participated in all but one of the nine categories of competition.

“We had some excellent opportunities in just about every event,” Roe said. “I certainly had high hopes for Aaron Winters, and he proved me right.”

Winters was undefeated through his first 10 rounds and said he often had to “multitask” to focus thoroughly on competing in his events. Winters’ performance in the Lincoln-Douglas debate and two other events – impromptu and extemporaneous speaking – netted him enough points to finish first overall, though he did not place first in any individual event.

Despite his top-place finish, Winters was slightly disappointed he did not win Lincoln-Douglas competition, which is his goal before he graduates.

“I personally put a lot of pressure on myself. The clock is kind of ticking down to win a national championship,” he said. “Not many people can say that they are the top speaker in the nation.”

Winters’ commitment to the team came at the expense of many of his Friday evenings.

“I only took three courses this quarter so I could focus a little more on researching,” he said. “I locked myself in Fisk Hall, and I’d stay there until four in the morning.”

Winters, who also serves as chief justice on the Associated Student Government Judicial Board, said his experience with the speech team will help him excel in the career he’s pursued since childhood.

“I’ve wanted to be a lawyer ever since I wanted to be an astronaut,” he said.

Winters, who was defeated in a 3-2 decision during the Lincoln-Douglas event, debated the issue of altering U.S. policy to combat terrorism. Winters had to debate both sides of the issue throughout the rounds of competition. His affirmative stance on the issue was to ban President Bush’s military tribunal.

Chen said he was satisfied with the team’s performance at the tournament.

“I think our team was very successful,” he said. “I think we did just as well as the best teams at the tournament.”