Going wireless on campus

Wondering what you need to access Northwestern’s wireless network?

If you own a laptop, you are already one-third of the way there. There are only two more things you must have.

The first is a wireless network card, which allows your computer to receive signals from NU’s wireless network. The wireless card fits into a slot in the body of your laptop just like an Ethernet card. It ranges in price from about $80 to $150.

The only other thing your laptop needs is a piece of software called a Virtual Private Network client, or VPN. NU’s VPN software can be downloaded for free from the Information Technology Web site.

The purpose of the VPN is twofold. First, it makes your computer appear to NU’s network as a registered, on-campus user. Only people with NU Net IDs and passwords can use the VPN. Its other function is as a security measure. The VPN encrypts data like passwords and credit card numbers to make them safe from “eavesdroppers.”

The wireless network is transmitted by multiple pieces of hardware called access points. Each access point costs $2,300 and has a capacity of 11 megabit of wireless information, said Tom Board, director of technology support services. In Norris University Center, one access point would not serve all potential wireless users, so each of the two floors has about three access points.

“We are budgeting for about 40 people per access point,” Board said.

But Board warns students not to rely on the wireless network. “We will always have the wired network because it will always be faster and stronger than the wireless network,” he said. In residence halls, each computer is allocated a 10 megabit capacity, though Board says that can be increased.