An in-your-face party

It’s 15 minutes after midnight, and a once-packed Patten Gym has cleared out except for Suitcase Party board members who have to cleanup for about 2,000 students. Executive board co-chairwoman Katie Turnbaugh is at a loss for words.

“We’re ecstatic,” said Tyler Milfeld, the board’s other co-chairman.

The celebration, Suitcase Party’s final fund-raiser of the year, culminated in the presentation of a $32,148.36 check to Children’s Place Association, an organization that assists poor children infected with HIV and AIDS.

Various members of Suitcase Party’s executive board said they were overwhelmed by the number of students who attended and the way they seemed to be enjoying themselves compared to past years.

“I feel like this is the pre-party dream and tomorrow will be the actual party,” said Molly Harnischfeger, the organization’s party committee co-chairwoman and a Weinberg sophomore.

Harnischfeger’s and her partner Casey Clark’s goal was to create a more interactive party.

While some students complained of a lack of activities, most said they enjoyed the new format and echoed the executive board’s amazement at student turnout.

“They have done a remarkable job getting people here,” said Lizzy Cahill, a McCormick junior. “This is the biggest crowd I’ve ever seen at a Suitcase Party and everyone seems to be very excited with all the activities they have going on here.”

The activities included massages, caricature drawings and numerous contests throughout the night.

In an attempt to cajole people to arrive early, Clark and Harnischfeger planned a freeze dance competition for 8:30 p.m., half an hour after the party’s official start. That was soon followed by a short set of songs by Alyssa Brightman, Weinberg ’01, and an auction for the privilege of smashing a pie in the face of ASG presidential candidate Bassel Korkor or the Dance Marathon’s former co-chairpersons David Nacol and Michelle Madigan.

Another new feature was the party’s Hollywood theme. Students were introduced to it as soon as they entered Patten by Suitcase Party’s own Walk of Fame. Stars plastered the wall, some with handprints reminiscent of Hollywood’s actual Walk of Fame, and others with words from Children’s Place kids such as “Faith,” “Love,” “Hope” and “Kindness.”

Inside the gym, the walls were covered with movie posters, while small tables had picture frames with photos of different Hollywood celebrities.

Another aspect of the party’s new format was awarding of prizes through competitions. After a raffle draw to pick the contestants, students engaged in activities from sumo wrestling to Suitcase Party’s version of the Monty Hall game show “Let’s Make a Deal.”

Seven big winners were awarded free weekend getaways to locations such as Orlando, Fla., Los Angeles and Europe.

Between prizes, outreach committee co-chairwoman Erin Burke, an Education sophomore, spoke about her committee’s 608 combined hours of experience at Children’s Place, reminding students why they were there. She stressed her group’s commitment to service, to accompany the money they raised.

When the party ended and Turnbaugh overcame her excitement, she said the key to the party’s success was the hard work the organization put in throughout the year.

“Most importantly, we developed a presence on campus all year, so when it came time for our big event, we had lots of supporters,” she said.