Metamorphoses’ could bring press financial change

Performance studies Prof. Mary Zimmerman’s “Metamorphoses” premiered to standing ovations and rave reviews on Broadway, but it may not transform its publisher, the embattled Northwestern University Press, into a fiscal butterfly.

The play’s early success does not guarantee a financial windfall for the struggling press, said University Librarian David Bishop, the press board’s co-chairman. Last year the press’ $877,000 loss exceeded its university subsidy by about $300,000. The Chronicle of Higher Education reported Thursday that the press’ director, Susan Harris, was fired.

Since the play’s March 4 premiere, bookstores in New York and Chicago together have bought about 1,000 copies of the play, Bishop said.

“It is projected to have a positive impact, but how big I don’t know,” Bishop said.

The play is an adaptation of several of Ovid’s myths, such as the story of Cupid. The work modernizes the myths by adding dance, music, comedy and tragedy – all in and around a 27-foot-wide pool of water. After the play’s premiere, one cast member had to carry Zimmerman onstage so she could take a bow and remain dry.

The play began its run at NU’s Ethel M. Barber Theater in 1997 with five of the same cast members now on Broadway. The show toured Berkeley, Calif., Los Angeles and Seattle before a five-month off-Broadway run in New York.

Although Bishop is uncertain of how “Metamorphoses” will affect the press, Vice President for University Relations Alan Cubbage said the play could have an effect over time.

“Obviously this is not going to have an initial impact on the press, but it will have a long-term impact because this really could generate a significant amount of revenue,” Cubbage said.

The play’s initial success, as well as the press’ financial struggles, will not shift the press’ focus from scholarly to commercial publications, Bishop said.

“You can make an erroneous assumption that scholarly books don’t cover costs and earn profits and commercial books do,” Bishop said. “Some scholarly books sell well and others not so well.”

Cubbage said NU’s main concern is publishing material like Zimmerman’s that reflects well on the university.

Zimmerman had nothing but praise for the press. As the press was the only company to approach her, Zimmerman said the choice was easy and called the experience of working with the press phenomenal.

Susan Betz, the press’ executive editor who acquired the book for the press, said it was great working with Zimmerman.

“I hope we do more and more with theater because there’s so much talent here at Northwestern to draw on,” Betz said.