Festival features international dishes, dances

From Polish pierogi to Turkish baklava, pad thai noodles to flan, about 500 students and local residents had a taste of world cultures Sunday afternoon at the annual International Festival in Norris University Center.

Some of the 19 participating cultural student organizations also presented ethnic dances and music, but food was the main attraction, said Clara Tse, the festival’s food chairwoman.

“I think food is a big part of culture,” said Tse, a Weinberg freshman. “It’s how people experience different cultures.”

Weinberg junior Salome Angrand, whose CaribNation table provided rice and curry chicken, said the festival showcased parts of the world that are often ignored.

“And what a better way to learn than through your stomach?” Angrand said.

An Evanston resident, Bob Costikyan, 51, said he heard about the festival from a friend who works at Northwestern.

“I’ve never eaten so much for $5 in my life,” Costikyan said.

Performers on Sunday afternoon included students and dancers from groups outside NU, including a Russian rock group and a professional belly dancer. Turkish Students Association presented “Women of the Silk Road,” featuring groups of women and girls twirling in ceremonial Turkish dances and wearing veils and sashes.

Hsiao Kwei Chou, who sang with a Hong Kong pop group, said he wanted to use International Fest to show people the differences between American and Chinese pop music.

“We can do this and people would understand more about Chinese pop music,” said Chou, a McCormick freshman.

CaribNation presented a full range of Caribbean-flavored dancing and music, with a mix of reggae, Haitian music and suavemente.

“Basically, we’re trying to share our energy and our culture,” said Jason Brown, a McCormick senior and the group’s co-founder. “This is a great venue to do it.”

To attract a more diverse group of people, for the first time this year, the festival advertised in local newspapers, said Serena Li, festival co-chairwoman.

“I’m definitely seeing a lot of families that I didn’t see last year,” said Li, an Education sophomore.

Steve Goodman, 42, of Highland Park, saw an advertisement in a Highland Park newspaper and decided to bring his daughters to give them a taste of different cultures.

“I think it’s important because we should learn about other cultures, their dancing, their food and what they do for fun,” said Tammy Goodman, his 13-year-old daughter.

The afternoon provided a simple way to introduce people to different food and entertainment, said Joyce Koh, festival co-chairwoman.

“It’s interesting for people to come and just appreciate and enjoy,” said Koh, a Weinberg junior who helped with the Singaporean students’ booth last year. “It’s one of the only events all the cultural groups get together for.”

The night before the festival, a first-ever Charity Ball brought together six cultural groups to benefit the Anti-Defamation League. With about 75 people attending, turnout was lower than expected, said Joy Tsai, an Asian American Advisory Board member on the ball’s planning committee. But she said the event met the goals the committee set forth.

“We wanted to benefit the charity, and to bring together the student groups on campus,” said Tsai, a Weinberg sophomore.

“We chose the Anti-Defamation League because we knew that their group is just to promote cultural awareness and educate people about racism,” Tsai said.