Wrestlers, finally healthy, start off season with solid effort

The Northwestern wrestlers opened their season this weekend in East Lansing, Mich., at the Michigan State Open. The team, which is looking to improve upon a 2000-2001 season in which it posted a 4-13 record (0-8 Big Ten), hoped to prove that they would not fall so easily during this year’s campaign.

Though the tournament did not track team scores, several Wildcats made early-season impressions. Junior John Giacche went 5-0 for the weekend, winning the 141-pound weight class and beating wrestlers from Michigan State and North Carolina in the process.

“The sky’s the limit as far as John’s concerned,” said 13th-year head coach Tim Cysewski. “I’m very confident that he has a great chance at making Nationals and becomming an All-American.”

Junior Brendan Curran, who competed in the 184-pound weight class, also posted several victories in East Lansing. He won his first three matches before falling to a Central Michigan competitor. Curran placed fifth overall. In addition, sophomore Paul Augle reached the second round of competition in the 125-pound weight class.

Sophomore Josh Ballard (141-pound weight class) reached the semifinals of his bracket.

“It was a good opening tournament,” he said. “I’ve improved a lot (since last year), but I still need to keep working.”

As a team, the Cats hope to prove that they are not the doormats of the Big Ten, a perpetually strong wrestling conference.

“In wrestling, any Big Ten team is going to be a challenge,” Cysewski said. “Nobody else will be as strong.”

Hobbled by injuries, last year’s squad did not win a conference match. This year, Cysewski believes that the team is strong enough to provide more of a challenge to its Big Ten counterparts.

“Last year, we had a lot of injuries to our leaders,” he said. “Now, our practices have been very crisp and productive, and I’m confident we’ll send guys to Nationals this year.”

In addition to Big Ten powers such as Minnesota and Iowa, the Cats will also face Akron, Tennessee-Chattanooga, Brown and Stanford during the season.

Though last weekend’s tournament did not count toward the team’s overall record, the wrestlers posted encouraging performances in their first matches of the year.

“We’d like to step up in the Big Ten and make a statement,” Ballard said. “(This weekend) was a big step up from last year.”

The Cats resume action Friday when they travel to River Falls, Wis., for the Northern Open.