The bottom’s up this time

It had to happen sometime.

And after weeks in the forecasters’ cellar, this washed-up former sports editor showed he still had some tricks in his bag, going 8-4 and winning in Paterno-esque fashion.

Bartender, a few stiff bourbons, please.

But if I’ve learned anything from the bozos to my right, it’s that now is not the time to brag. Kasses won two weeks ago and then guaranteed victory, with Custer-like results.

You won’t hear it from me. No mention of a triumph here, unless it’s the one that says “for me to poop on” all the time.

However, knowing that this may be the last time I ever have control of this space, there is room for a little smack-talking.

We’ll begin with Glenn “Two N’s” Kasses, a.k.a. Captain Victory. His hobbies include NCAA ice hockey and Dan Duquette’s Boston Red Sox. Given the losers he generally sides with, it’s a wonder this guy has won at all. It seems he has adopted a Roger Boye-esque approach this week, taking the home team — Purdue, Washington and UNLV — in three toss-up games.

Adam “Hippie” Rittenberg, who bears a striking resemblance to Rob Schneider in “The Waterboy,” thinks LSU’s bayou grit will beat ‘Bama. News flash, Hippie: “Roll Tide” ain’t just another way to get high.

Contest winner and WNUR broadcaster Justin Winerman consulted an orangutan before making his selections this week. Sure, Iowa is a decent pick against a decidedly crappy Wisconsin team, but Minnesota, too? Ohio State still has some dignity.

Which is more than I can say for Katz. Long my roommate in the forecasters’ basement, he gives credence to the term “fearless,” stroking his ratty beard and proclaiming, “Upset!” when rational sports fans opt for the safe route (also known as “the correct pick”). Unfortunately, this approach also leaves him farther to the right than Limbaugh.

You’ll note that each of us picked NU. You’d be wise to do the same. Indiana’s high-powered offense (Remember when that was NU’s term?) poses a threat, but look for the Cats to play sound football and get the win. That should calm down Evanston’s whiners, who apparently never had the pleasure of watching Gavin Hoffman.

Of course, I’ve been wrong before. But, in as humble a manner as possible, I’m sticking to my guns.

Trust me, they’re really great picks … for me to poop on.