As-Am post filled by ’99 Weinberg graduate

After an unsuccessful nationwide search, Northwestern has decided to fill its first-ever Asian and Asian-American student services coordinator position with NU alumnus and graduate student Tedd Vanadilok on an interim basis.

After reviewing more than 30 applications in July, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Mary Desler and committee members turned to Vanadilok, Weinberg ’99, to fill the post. Vanadilok, 24, has taken a year off from pursuing a master’s degree in the School of Education and Social Policy.

First proposed in 1991, the position of an Asian and Asian-American student services coordinator was on demand when students staged a 23-day hunger strike in 1995 lobbying for the creation of an Asian-American studies program. NU started a campaign to fill the post late last spring, e-mailing Asian-American listservs and other universities to find applicants. But the search committee came up empty-handed.

“We just didn’t find someone with the right mix of experience, education, knowledge of the issues and passion,” said Desler, who chaired the committee responsible for filling the post.

While NU searches for a permanent coordinator, Vanadilok said he plans to advise Asian and Asian-American students in everything from academic, social and health issues to spiritual matters. He will also be networking with professional groups and alumni, and establishing scholarships and fellowships for students.

Student groups such as the Asian American Advisory Board and Taiwanese American Students Club can also expect to hear from Vanadilok.

“I’ll be making sure their programs are going smoothly and their executive boards running efficiently,” he said. Vanadilok was involved with both groups as well as the Chinese Students Association as an undergraduate.

Weinberg senior Phil Lee, president of the Asian American Christian Ministry, hopes Vanadilok will bring about more cohesion within NU’s Asian-American community.

Lee’s sentiments are echoed by Marie Claire Tran, Asian-American Advisory Board chairwoman and search committee member.

“I hope he will facilitate more dialogue between organizations,” said Tran, a Weinberg senior. “He knows the climate of the Asian-American community on campus, and he has a lot of ideas to bring about cohesiveness to the community.”

Tran would also like to see Vanadilok organize a spring retreat for students and oversee the planning of Asian American Heritage Month.

Aside from aiding current NU students, Vanadilok plans to join admissions officials in attracting prospective Asian-American students to NU. But he stresses that most of his time will be devoted to handling campus issues.

“I don’t know how much I’ll be able to get out to high schools because most of my time will have to be spent here,” he said.

Meanwhile, Desler said the search committee plans to resume its hunt early this spring. Vanadilok said he might be among applicants for the permanent post.

“I’ll have a chance to throw my hat into the pull,” Vanadilok said.

At this point Desler does not seem to mind seeing Vanadilok at the reins, temporary as they might be.

“He’s amazing,” she said. “I’m not too terribly disappointed.”