Evanston man charged with hitting man with car, fleeing

An Evanston man could be facing up to three years in prison after running over another man in his car late Thursday night and fleeing from the scene, police said.

Police arrested Ronald M. Hutchinson, 26, of 2114 Dewey Ave., in connection with failing to stop after hitting a man and several other charges, said Cmdr. Michael Perry of the Evanston Police Department.

Hutchinson was driving down Dodge Avenue near Main Street at 11:52 p.m. Thursday when he struck a 43-year-old Evanston man who was walking down the street, Perry said. Witnesses told police that Hutchinson, who was driving a white, older model Cadillac, continued southbound on Dodge Avenue after hitting the victim, Perry said.

The victim was rushed to St. Francis Hospital where he was listed in critical but stable condition Wednesday night, police said.

Two officers from EPD discovered Hutchinson’s car abandoned on the 2900 block of W. Fargo St. in Chicago about an hour after the incident, Perry said. An investigation led police to Hutchinson, the car’s owner, and he was arrested at his home in Evanston the following day, police said.

Hutchinson is being charged with two felonies: hit and run, and failure to report an accident involving injury. He also faces numerous other traffic related charges, Perry said.

Hutchinson’s bond in connection with the crime has been set at $100,000. No other information about this incident was available Wednesday night.