Red Bull lends support to NU student films

A group of sophomores and graduate students have won $3,000 grants from Red Bull to produce short films relating to the theme of “body and mind.”

Among the winners were Speech sophomores Jon Monteverde, Allison Kellman and Ryan Scammell and graduate students Jill Wissmiller and Philip Crippen. Weinberg sophomore Alden McLellan and Speech sophomore Jonathan Hook also won a grant. The winners will produce films over the summer using the grant money and NU equipment.

“We’ll all be around during the summer, so we’ll probably work together,” Scammell said. “A lot of the sophomores know each other.”

The decision upset some Speech upperclassmen who say the contest judges were biased toward the sophomores’ digitally produced films. The controversy relates to a change in radio, television and film curriculum two years ago that emphasizes digital film, while many older students use other technologies.

“I was very surprised not to see anyone from the junior class, who have already completed advanced level production classes, on the list,” said Anna Christopher, a Speech junior. “It definitely appears that they wanted more digital productions.”

Despite the controversy, the winners say the money allows them more freedom to experiment with their productions.

“I was going to shoot this film anyway,” Scammell said. “Basically the $3,000 lets you shoot on film rather than video.”

NU is one of two schools receiving funds from Red Bull to put on the first Student Showcase. The students will complete their films in September, and they will be shown at an outdoor festival in October.

The winners appreciate Red Bull’s contribution, and the freedom the company affords them.

“There’s no product placement, and students own the films,” Kellman said. “I’m not such a big fan of product placement, but in this case the corporation is just letting us make art.”

About 40 students applied for the six grants, said Beth Austin, student liaison to the competition and film graduate student. R/TV/F faculty appointed Austin to assist students entering the contest, and Red Bull paid her.

The students submitted a synopsis of their films and a short filmed segment to a panel of judges composed of NU faculty. Film students used actors from the Chicago area and help each other in the production of films.

“I’ll probably just use (my friend’s) dad and brother,” Scammell said. “But with this money I might be able to pay actors.”

The Student Showcase is the only corporate film grant for NU students. There are other grants available to film majors provided by the university.

“The money is important mostly in order to buy film,” Scammell said. “Film is too expensive to get yourself.”