Speaker: NU has to improve African presence

Molefi Asante, director of African-American studies at Temple University, greeted students with “Hotep,” a traditional African salutation meaning “I come in peace.” Asante brought a message of empowerment and pride to about 40 students Thursday in Harris 107.

For Members Only sponsored Asante’s visit to commemorate the 33rd anniversary of the May 3rd/4th Agreements of 1968 that were the culmination of demonstrations led by black students demanding a department devoted to African-American studies at Northwestern.

Asante described the demonstrations as powerful. “The takeover of the bursar’s office was a dramatic event,” Asante said. “I remember watching from (the University of California-Los Angeles). Those students came out with a final demand, and all across the country we took that up.”

But Asante said NU still has much to improve. He said university departments are dominated by European-focused curriculum and exclude African contributions.

“Europe has taken its particular experience and turned it into a universal experience. But there is much to learn from Africa,” Asante said. “The first civilizations were African. The first developers of geometry were African. The oldest example of medicine comes from Africa.”

Asante suggested “Afrocentrism” as a means of challenging the dominant European rhetoric stressing the agency of Africans. “Afrocentricity is the theory of viewing Africans as subjects rather than objects,” he said. “(It) is the only intellectual idea for black people that challenges white hegemony.”

The mostly black audience responded positively to Asante’s speech. Applause and shouts of appreciation interrupted his powerful rhetoric, and a standing ovation and excited discussion followed. Students and professors then gathered for refreshments at the Black House.

Weinberg freshman Chris Brown said, “(The speech) gave me specific information about Africans that I wouldn’t normally hear.”

Brown agreed students desire a more culturally diverse education, with less emphasis on European thought.

“I don’t think there is enough African-American studies. We have enough people, but we don’t have the classes,” Brown said. “Every aspect is taught from a European perspective. Classes should become more integrated to include all perspectives.”

Asante challenged NU students to continue the legacy of activism that began 33 years ago. He said students should fight back against the racist tendencies that remain in higher education.

“How does racism still exist?” Asante asked. “It is supported by academic institutions and the control of knowledge.”

He added that a student can go to school for four years and still be racist because the structure of knowledge helps maintain the attitude.

Although NU students say they are working for change, some agree that more should be done.

“I don’t think a wide variety of classes are offered,” said Chavis Richardson, Weinberg senior and FMO coordinator. “Opportunities to learn about African influences in most majors aren’t available.”

Richardson, a political science major, has had only one black professor in that department. He voiced the concerns of black students to the NU Board of Trustees to pressure for more black professors. And the board was receptive, he said.

Asante called for student groups to work together to promote diversity. He suggested that activism should extend beyond just black students in order to be more effective.

“It would be great for Northwestern student government to support this,” said Dr. Asante.

Howard Lien, a Weinberg sophomore agreed. “Student groups need to work together or they won’t get anything done,” Lien said. “Our numbers are too small otherwise. The administration will push us around.”