Cardinal discusses Catholic Church

The Roman Catholic Church is not out of touch with the secular world, Francis Cardinal George told about 200 people gathered Wednesday afternoon in Fisk Auditorium.

“We’re not living under a rock,” George said. “I think we are not in conformity with the culture, but we never have been.”

George, who became archbishop of his native Chicago in 1997 after the death of Joseph Cardinal Bernardin, came to Northwestern as part of the Medill School of Journalism’s Crain Lecture Series.

George spoke about his effort to encourage his parishioners to be more accepting of minorities.

“The challenge for us now is to internalize the other as other,” George said. “I asked people to accept and understand rather than just to tolerate.”

Growing up in a heavily segregated Chicago, George said changes needed to be made in the city. He said he believes that Chicago should be a more integrated city and needs more affordable housing.

“If we make the same mistakes as in the ’50s, the next generation will curse us,” George said. “I believe rightly so.”

George oversees the 2.4 million Catholics of Cook and Lake counties.

He presides over 378 parishes, 22 hospitals, 46 cemeteries and more than 300 schools.

George discussed the Catholic effort to help keep parochial schools open by raising funds. He said excessive spending over the last few years has forced the closing of various Catholic schools.

“This year six schools have been closed,” he said. “I’m hoping we can work on various forms of funding.”

Medill Dean Ken Bode asked George how he approached replacing the extremely popular Cardinal Bernardin, making a comparison to the transition from President Bill Clinton to President George W. Bush.

“Bernardin was no Clinton,” George said amid laughter from the audience. “We are very different in personality, but I try to be faithful to the mission he laid down. You have to keep it moving.”

George stressed the importance of keeping the Catholic message focused and making sure it is received wholeheartedly.

“If (the Catholic message) is not received, you have to take that seriously.” he said. “We have an ideology as Americans that is very individualistic. That is a strength, but it is also a weakness.”

Toward the end of the discussion, George defended Pope John Paul II’s criticism of the upcoming execution of Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh.

“Killing someone has to be the last resort,” George said. “A state can defend themselves against these evil people by incarceration for life.”

George met with students and faculty throughout the day prior to his lecture. He had lunch at the Sheil Catholic Center and discussed religion’s role in a school setting with other clergy and Roman Catholic students.

Online extra: Read the complete transcript of the interview with Francis Cardinal George.