Next Suitcase Party co-chairs plan to select charity by May

Weinberg juniors Katie Turnbaugh and Tyler Milfeld have been named the executive co-chairs of Suitcase Party for 2002.

Both said they were excited to receive the positions and wanted to see Suitcase Party grow and gain more recognition at Northwestern.

“I want the campus to be aware of Suitcase Party,” Turnbaugh said. “Obviously, there’s a party at the end of the year, but we want the campus to recognize what we do.”

Suitcase Party is a yearlong philanthropic organization that raises awareness of and money for a selected beneficiary, Milfeld said. The actual Suitcase Party is held in April, featuring live bands and free food. The organization also gives away trips to several destinations worldwide, including one to Disneyland.

Suitcase Party raised more than $40,000 this year for its beneficiary, the Starlight Children’s Foundation, a $17,000 increase from last year.

Milfeld hopes to announce next year’s charity by late May instead of waiting until Fall Quarter. Applications already have been sent to prospective organizations.

Turnbaugh suggested holding a coffeehouse to introduce the beneficiary to the students.

In the meantime, the co-chairmen will be busy choosing candidates for the rest of the executive board. Applications will be available Friday at the Information Desk at Norris University Center.

Turnbaugh has been a member since her freshman year and was treasurer for 2001. Milfeld also has been involved with Suitcase Party since his freshman year, working on the corporate, prizes and food committees.