Silva makes Nagurski watch list

Northwestern linebacker Billy Silva has been named one of 12 preseason candidates for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, which is awarded annually to the best defensive player in the nation.

Silva, an Honorable Mention All-Big Ten selection who finished second in the conference in tackles with 124, said his father told him about the honor after seeing an item posted on the Internet.

“As far as awards, I don’t put too much into it,” Silva said. “First of all, a lot of the awards stuff is political, and second of all, I’ve still got a senior season. I got a whole year to go, and a lot can happen in that time.”

Silva wasn’t a regular starter until last season, when the Cats moved Conrad Emmerich to defensive end to make room for him at middle linebacker.

In just one season, Silva managed to catch the Big Ten’s eye. He made 67 solo tackles, recovered a fumble, forced a fumble and recorded an interception against Nebraska in the Alamo Bowl.

But Silva said last season’s achievements are old news.

“I’m a person who hates getting caught up in the past,” Silva said. “You get nominated and I just feel great, but I can’t look at that. I can’t put all my eggs into one basket thinking about that.”

Instead, Silva is busy directing the Wildcats’ defense in spring practice. He anchors a unit that allowed 180 rushing yards per game during the regular season last year. And the 6-foot-3, 248-pound senior from San Diego plays an integral role in improving those numbers.

Besides Silva, running back Damien Anderson and quarterback Zak Kustok are already being considered for next season’s major college football awards. Anderson, who finished fifth in last season’s Heisman Trophy voting after rushing for more than 2,000 yards, is regarded by some as the frontrunner for this year’s award. Meanwhile, Kustok is one of the Big Ten’s best returning signal-callers and a candidate for the All-American team.

Among others, Florida defensive end Alex Brown, North Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers and Michigan State linebacker Josh Thornhill join Silva on the list of Nagurski Trophy nominees.