Sodexho Marriott pulls plug on Bonus Buck donations

Phi Delta Theta and Delta Sigma Theta’s end-of-the-quarter Bonus Bucks charity program was canceled Winter Quarter with little explanation, student group leaders said.

Phi Delt Philanthropy Chairman Eric Terada said he believed the program was going to run again this winter after starting in the fall. But five days before the program was scheduled to start, Sodexho Marriott official Brian Smoko told Terada the program was canceled.

“I was under the impression all quarter long through my contacts with Sodexho Marriott that the program was going to happen,” said Terada, a Weinberg junior.

Terada said he offered to make modifications to the program but was told the program still would not run.

During Fall Quarter, more than 300 people came to Norris University Center and donated to the Greek houses’ program, helping to raise $21,500 for the Chicago Food Depository. The money translated into 7,500 pounds of food for the depository, the equivalent of 5,647 meals.

The winter Bonus Bucks program was supposed to follow the same format as the fall program, in which students were allowed to donate their leftover Bonus Bucks toward the purchase of the food for the depository.

William Banis, Northwestern’s vice president for student affairs, said he was unaware of the reasons for the program’s cancellation. Officials from Sodexho Marriott could not be reached for comment.

The depository learned of the cancellation in mid-March, about a week before the program’s expected start. Beth Lowe, who is in charge of food donation at the depository, said she expected to hear more from NU soon.

“I was told there was no program, and I was kind of surprised,” Lowe said. “I was also told it was possible we might still get a donation.”

A friend of Weinberg sophomore Grace Kim wanted to participate in the program at the end of last quarter but couldn’t find where to donate.

Her friend just ended up buying a case of Snapple for herself, Kim said. “I thought the program was a good idea.”

Another student, Weinberg senior Paul Mendes, said he was disappointed at the cancellation.

“It was a well-designed program,” Mendes said. “I’d like to see the program start up again.”