Tilly: That’s a wrap

After filming on location in Evanston for the past month, actress Jennifer Tilly packed her bags Sunday and headed back to Los Angeles, but not without first enjoying some down-home hospitality at the Omni Orrington Hotel lobby bar.

“Evanston’s really a great city,” Tilly said as she perched on the edge of a couch in the University Club, cigarette in one hand and brandy snifter in the other.

“I feel at home here now – I know all the places to go and all the places to eat.”

She said her favorite food in town was Hecky’s Barbecue corn bread, sweet potato pie and rib tips.

“It was so good I made them order me more the next day, ” she said.

Tilly, who has starred in such flicks as “Liar Liar” (1997) with Jim Carrey and “Bound” (1996), said she was in Evanston to film “Ball in the House,” an independent movie.

“It’s a black comedy about a blue-collar family trying to kill their son for the insurance money,” she said.

Tilly said she and co-star David Straithairn (“L.A. Confidential” (1997), “A League of Their Own” (1992)) have been filming at two houses in Evanston: one at Church and Darrow streets and one in a more “upscale” neighborhood whose location she couldn’t remember.

A number of locals stopped by the set looking for extra work, Tilly said, but none was hired because of the movie’s low-budget status.

“Ball in the House” is scheduled to be released later this year, she said, adding, “It’s going to be a really good movie.”