Tickets go on sale today for Feb. 14 Ben Harper concert

Folk and blues singer Ben Harper, known for his energetic concerts and eclectic guitar sounds, will perform at 8 p.m. Valentine’s Day in Patten Gym.

Tickets go on sale 10 a.m. today at the Norris Center Box Office and cost $10 with a WildCARD. Students can purchase two tickets per WildCARD, with a maximum of two cards.

About 1,800 tickets will be available for students.

Jack Johnson, a blues-rock musician chosen by Harper to open the show, will perform one set before the two-hour concert.

The concert, sponsored by A&O Productions, was secured after years of attempting to bring Harper to campus, said A&O chairwoman Molly Allen.

“This is the first year he’s ever been available,” said Allen, a Speech senior. “When we’re able to have concerts, he’s always on tour in Europe or somewhere else.”

Allen said Harper is even more appealing than the Dave Matthews Band because he attracts fans from both the “indie scene and the more mainstream scene.”

“A&O is thrilled,” she said. “We have a tendency to bring a lot of hip-hop acts. I’m looking forward to seeing how students respond to him.”

Harper, who has toured with the Dave Matthews Band, P J Harvey and Pearl Jam, also has popular singles such as “Steal My Kisses,” “Burn One Down” and “The Woman in You.”

He also played November at a Ralph Nader rally in New York City.

Josh Pool, director of concerts for A&O, said he is especially excited because students have been asking to see Harper perform at NU for a long time.

“I think this is going to be the best show this campus has seen, second only to (Bob) Dylan (who came to NU in October),” said Pool, a Speech senior.

Pool pointed out the advantageous timing of Harper’s concert.

“On Valentine’s Day, when lots of people on this campus don’t have much to do, this will give students a chance to get out and party,” he said.