Deep impact: Illini sizzle, NU fizzles from 3

CHAMPAIGN – Asked to predict the deciding factor in Tuesday’s matchup between Big Ten powers Michigan State and Illinois, Northwestern men’s basketball coach Bill Carmody paraphrased coaching great John Wooden.

“It all comes down to field goal percentage – who makes shots,” Carmody said.

He couldn’t have summed up Saturday’s 84-59 loss to the Fighting Illini any better.

Public address announcer Jim Sheppard delivered his trademark “Thaaaat’s a threeeeee!” call throughout Saturday’s game. No. 6 Illinois sank a season-high 12 three-pointers, four of which came during a 20-0 run that put the game away in the first half. In all, the Illini shot 54 percent from long distance,

Meanwhile, NU made only seven of its 23 attempts from three-point range.

The Illini pressured the Cats (8-14, 0-9 Big Ten) at the three-point line, forcing hurried shots and poor shooting from beyond the arc (NU hit 30 percent for the game).

By contrast, NU’s defense collapsed in the lane, hoping to neutralize twin towers Brian Cook and Marcus Griffin. But the move allowed the Illini (17-5, 7-2) wide-open looks from outside.

The final statistics were telling: NU guard Ed McCants missed as many threes in the second half (five) as the Illini did as a team. Guard Winston Blake, NU’s best outside shooter, went 1-for-5 from downtown. Illinois guard Sean Harrington shot 4-for-5.

“We’ve shot the ball well,” Illinois coach Bill Self said. “Today was no different.”

Illinois guard Frank Williams set the game’s tone by burying a three from the top of the key. Even Cook – a power forward – got into the act for the Illini, drilling a pair of flat treys.

In addition, Illini guard Cory Bradford got a roar from the crowd by knocking down a three-pointer to start the scoring in the second half, continuing his streak of 86 games with a triple. The three gave Illinois a 52-27 lead.

“Shooting the ball well – that gives the impression that you’re playing great, and you aren’t necessarily playing great,” Self said. “I don’t know what Bill said, but I’m sure their strategy was to take away our inside game first. We had good ball and body movement, and guys made some shots.”

On the other end of the floor, NU came out shooting blanks. Hampered by an injured big toe, Blake struggled to an 0-for-3 start.

NU forward Jason Burke made three of four from behind the arc, but said Illinois’ pressure out top confused the Cats.

Their shots bricked accordingly.

“We don’t have a track record of making long shots,” Carmody said.

NU could do little to stop Illinois’ torrid three-point shooting. The Cats kept their defenders under the basket to battle Cook and Griffin, who was injured during the Jan. 17 game between the two teams. Griffin still managed to score 10 points, Cook led all scorers with 16 – and the Illini guards took target practice from outside.

“Our defense was bad,” Carmody said. “I don’t even want to look at the stat sheet. I’m not strong enough. We switched to man-to-man (defense) just so I could blame somebody.”

The polished Illini offense and smothering defense made quick work of NU. An overtime loss to mediocre Penn State snapped the team awake, Self said, and ensured that it would not overlook the Cats before Tuesday’s home showdown with Michigan State.

Still, Self said Illinois has plenty to work on.

“If you miss those shots and they’re able to secure, then it could be a different game in the first half,” Self said. “But our guys were really on in the first half – especially Sean. He was on fire.”