Kickoff coverage still a question mark

Some like to scream and others jiggle keys, but when No. 22 Northwestern sends its kickoff unit on the field this season, everyone holds their breath.

In Saturday’s 37-17 upset of Michigan State, the Wildcats had their most well-rounded performance in recent years. The offense exploded for 37 points and the defense limited tailback T.J. Duckett to 71 rushing yards, yet NU continued to struggle with kick coverage. On eight kickoff returns, the Spartans amassed 225 yards and started four drives past their 35-yard line.

The Cats’ coverage seemed to worsen as the game progressed, as Tim Long’s final two kickoffs were returned 42 and 48 yards. Opponents have totalled 583 return yards on NU kickoffs, an average of 27.8 yards per runback. By comparison, the Cats average 17.9 yards per return.

“Right now it’s just a lack of execution,” said Harold BlackMonday, a member of the coverage team. “We’ve got a lot of young guys on the field for the first time, and we just have to get a little more want-to. I feel like it’s going to get better, but if there’s anything to point to that we’re not doing well right now, it’s probably special teams.”

The inexperience of NU’s coverage team has factored into its poor performance this year. Since most starters do not participate on kick coverage because of the injury risk, units are composed of mostly third- and fourth-stringers who see little action in games.

Coach Randy Walker works closely with his special teams units and takes their shortcomings “very personally.”

“Those guys who are maybe not a starter need to step up and play big for us,” Walker said. “If it’s five plays on a kickoff return, gosh darn, we need the best five of your life, and right now we’re not getting them.”

Linebacker Pat Durr forced a crucial fumble against Michigan State on a kickoff return in the second quarter. He said the opposition has exploited the Cats’ coverage in the middle of the field when NU players have overrun.

“A lot of guys are just running down there so crazy that they run right past the ball,” Durr said. “You have to be disciplined, you have go over the top on your block and you have to break down and make the tackle.”

ONE-TWO PUNCH: Even Damien Anderson has to rest sometime, but fortunately for NU, there is a capable back up in Kevin Lawrence.

Though he was overshadowed by Anderson’s career-high 219 yards against Michigan State, Lawrence filled in by adding 80 yards, a career-high of his own. After rushing only four times against Texas Christian and Wisconsin, Lawrence got the ball 14 times in East Lansing, averaging 5.7 yards per carry.

“I’m just trying to help out where I can, getting my yards, putting some points up on the board also,” Lawrence said. “I see Damien out there scoring and I want to get 200 yards, too. He’s a great back and he’s doing what he’s supposed to do. But when I get in there I want to do my thing too.”

After playing only four games on special teams last season, Lawrence saw his first action at tailback in the Cats’ season opener against Northern Illinois. He ran for 81 yards and a touchdown in NU’s 35-17 win over the Huskies and followed that with a scoring run against Duke the next week. Lawrence’s 219 rushing yards is second on the team behind Anderson’s 758.

THE ‘I’ IN TEAM: The Cats took a break from their four-wideout spread offense by running several plays out of the I-formation against Michigan State.

After employing a traditional two-back set last season, NU has operated almost exclusively out of the shotgun formation, with Anderson setting up next to quarterback Zak Kustok.

Walker implemented the new offensive scheme because the Cats have no returning starters at tight end or fullback. However, as the Cats mature, the ‘I’ may resurface more often toward the end of the season.

“We can go either way, I-formation or four-wide,” Lawrence said. “In short yardage, third-and-one, third-and-three, we’ll can run the I-back just to give the defense different looks to keep them on their toes and keep them honest.”