Speaker says Los Alamos scientist unjustly treated

The charges against a Los Alamos scientist who allegedly leaked secret information to China are unfounded, Cecilia Chang said Thursday at an Asian American Advisory Board lecture.

“I believe there is justice in people, more than there is justice in the government,” said Chang, chairwoman of the legal defense fund for the case surrounding Wen Ho Lee.

She spoke to an audience of about 40 people in Annenberg Hall for the Asian-American Heritage Month event.

Lee was indicted in March 1999 for allegedly downloading secret files at the Los Alamos laboratory in New Mexico.

Chang said Lee was never at the Los Alamos lab, and that the U.S. government claims Lee offered technology, which he never dealt with, to China, although Lee is Taiwanese. She added that Lee said he had been working with the files in the same way since 1983.

“It’s totally off-base,” Chang said. “The due process of a citizen is being violated.”

Chung Lee, Wen Ho Lee’s son, also spoke about his father’s case.

“The government wasn’t able to show what his motive might be,” he said. “They haven’t presented any evidence at all.”

But the government still shows no sign of dropping the case, Chung Lee said.

Wen Ho Lee’s case, a prominent issue in the Asian-American community, is scheduled for trial in November. He is confined in a New Mexico prison, with shackles on his feet and a chain around his belly, Chung Lee said.

Rotating guards stand outside his door at all hours, and he only recently has been granted phone privileges and one hour of outdoor time each day, he said.

“(The conditions) have improved somewhat, but it’s pretty obvious they’re still awful,” he said.

Chang said the government’s treatment of Lee represents the ways Asian Americans have been treated throughout American history.

“Wen Ho Lee is a symbol to the injustice done to us (Asian Americans) in many ways,” Chang said to the largely Asian-American audience. “When you’re in that situation, no justice can be served.”

Lee is the first person indicted under the Atomic Energy Act, Chang said. A list exists of 400 people who have violated the same act, but have not been prosecuted.

“Should we keep quiet? Should we look the other way?” Chang said.

She urged the audience to write to politicians and senators, speak to friends and family, and help with fund raising for legal expenses.

“The reason why we (invited these speakers) is because we heard about the potential mismanagement of this investigation,” said Wayne Wu, a McCormick junior and chairman of AAAB. “It stuck with us because he’s Asian American, but I found there was a lot more going on.”

“This really is not an issue for people of color — this is for all people,” Chang said. “No matter how minute a voice you think you have, it makes a difference.”