Shooting of Evanston man still under investigation

An Evanston man was shot in the leg Sunday evening when an unknown suspect fired a gun in the 2000 block of Dewey Avenue, police said.

The 20-year-old victim was shot three times in the leg when a man fired about nine shots at 11:25 p.m. outside Family Focus, 2010 Dewey Ave., said Cmdr. Dennis Nilsson of the Evanston Police Department. The victim was listed in critical condition Sunday night at Evanston Hospital, Nilsson said.

Police went to the hospital and interviewed the victim, who told officers he and a friend had been “chilling” in the Dewey Street area and “not bothering anyone.” While they were walking down the street, another friend told them that someone in the area had a gun. The victim told police he began running but was shot before he could get away. He could not identify the suspect, police said.

A group of witnesses was standing in the area when the shots were fired, Nilsson said. Witnesses told police that a man drove a dark blue Chevrolet Astro Minivan off of Ashland Avenue onto the grass near the Family Focus center and then fired shots from the window of the van. The van then drove south to Foster Street, witnesses told police.

Police found shell casings from the gun in the grass, which they submitted to the EPD crime lab for processing, Nilsson said. Results had not been returned, and the incident was still under investigation Monday night.