Hunwick in fair condition; unlikely to return this year

History and religion Prof. John Hunwick was listed in fair condition Wednesday afternoon in the Rehabilitation Unit of Evanston Hospital after suffering a mild stroke April 13 in a Northwestern parking lot.

Hunwick, 63, has partial paralysis on his left side, said History department assistant Carmelita Rocha.

“It’s unlikely that he will return this term,” Rocha said, although she expects him to return to teaching Fall Quarter.

According to Evanston Hospital officials, Hunwick is expected to remain in the hospital for at least the next couple of weeks.

“He’s in high spirits,” Rocha said.

For the rest of Spring Quarter, Hunwick’s Islam in Africa course will be taught by history Prof. Laurie Schiller. Schiller specializes in Africa, the Middle East, the American Civil War and is also the head coach of NU’s women’s fencing team. He received his doctorate from NU in 1982.

Islam in America, which Hunwick taught through the religion department, will now be taught by Matthew Cenzer, a doctoral candidate in the African history department. Cenzer has studied under Hunwick since 1992.

An Evanston resident called University Police April 13 after finding Hunwick on the top level of the parking garage located at 1877 S. Campus Dr. He was taken to Evanston Hospital at 10:45 a.m. by Evanston Fire&Life Safety Services.

Hunwick has taught at NU since 1981 and is regarded by many as the world’s leading expert of Islamic history. His most recent work includes a study of the history of Timbuktu, as well as a new course guide, “Africans in Slavery and Freedom in the Mediterranean World.”