Lackluster Wildcats shut out by Rangers

The offense that pounded out 12 runs Tuesday deserted the Northwestern baseball team Wednesday, as the Wildcats lost 5-0 to visiting Wisconsin-Parkside.

A strong performance from Rangers starter Riley Gostisha gave Wisconsin-Parkside (19-9) its first win in eight games against NU (16-15). The loss also marked the third time the Cats have been shut out this season.

NU managed just five hits Wednesday and two came in the ninth inning with the game’s outcome no longer in question. Shortstop Jeremy Kurella and first baseman Pat Thompson each went 2-for-4 and accounted for nearly all of the Cats’ offense.

Gostisha (4-1) frustrated the rest of the NU lineup, pitching eight scoreless innings and striking out three batters to pick up the win. Gostisha stifled the Cats just one day after their outburst against Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Only four Cats baserunners reached scoring position against Gostisha, and he allowed none of them to cross the plate.

“He seemed to be Cy Young out there,” NU coach Paul Stevens said.

Gostisha left in the ninth, and NU mounted its biggest threat of the game. The Cats loaded the bases on a Thompson double and worked two walks off Rangers reliever David Devey.

But Devey pitched out of the hole, retiring the next three batters to end the game. Thompson said NU did not produce early enough.

“Too little too late when we brought on the rally,” Thompson said.

The Cats had another scoring opportunity in the seventh inning. Thompson led off with a single and NU put runners on second and third with one out. But Gostisha struck out the next batter and induced a flyout to end the inning.

Kurella said the team expected to fare better against Gostisha.

“It’s nothing we haven’t seen before,” Kurella said. “We probably should have gotten a few more hits off him. I guess you have to tip your cap to him — he pitched a good game.”

Meanwhile, Wisconsin-Parkside scored five runs in the first six innings off of NU starter Chris Spiering. A wild pitch in the second inning and a sacrifice fly in the third put the Rangers ahead 2-0. Devey, who played in the outfield before taking the mound, hit a two-run double to left in the fourth to pad the lead.

“They came out here and played their hearts out,” Kurella said. “They beat us in every phase of the game.”

Thompson said the Cats are in a hitting funk. He said the team needs a good batting practice session today to help wake up the bats.

“We know it’s going to be a dogfight this weekend, so we just have to concentrate on what we’re doing at the plate,” Thompson said.

NU returns to Big Ten action this weekend, playing host to Minnesota for a four-game series beginning Friday.

The Cats will need a productive offense to keep pace with the Golden Gophers. Minnesota, which owns the second-best record in the conference, is third in team batting and second in team pitching in Big Ten play.

Kurella said NU has to get the bats going heading into the weekend, but that the solution to the Cats’ current hitting problem is not clear.

“Maybe a little confidence,” Kurella said. “I really don’t know. We’re all questioning it right now. It’s a funny game sometimes.”

In the wake of another midweek loss, Stevens said the team needs to “go back to work” in practice before the Minnesota series.

“It will be a relief just to get back out on the field (today),” Stevens said. “Obviously (Wednesday) was not the most impressive day.”