Rivals for president differ on approach

Stefan Beck thinks he can crush University President Henry Bienen in squash. Adam Humann, however, said he would be the worst squash player ever.

The two Associated Student Government presidential candidates discussed playing squash and other issues at Thursday’s debates before about 25 people. Attendance was one-third lower than at last year’s debates, when Dave Sheldon’s antics and a five-person race attracted a crowd of nearly 85 students.

The debate was open to the Northwestern student body, but most audience members were affiliated with ASG.

Although their campaign platforms have little in comMonday, Beck and Humann discussed issues such as how to build a sense of community and lobby administrators effectively.

Humann is focusing his campaign on community building through a reinvigoration of the Lakefill with paddleboats and an amphitheater for students.

“It will make the Lakefill a more useful area,” said Humann, a Weinberg junior. “I want to make ASG work for the students.”

Though Beck said ASG is not the place to create student unity, he agreed with Humann that the president’s job is to improve students’ attitudes toward ASG and lobby more efficiently for their needs.

“Pretty much anyone can do those jobs,” said Beck, who also wants to allow more student group to exist and grant all organizations funding.

To change negative views of ASG — an informal Daily poll conducted about the elections found that one-third of 91 students said ASG should be abolished — Humann said students should be better informed of what ASG does.

“We need to tell students, ‘We do good things for you,'” Humann said.

Beck said a president with a colorful personality could reduce student apathy.

“If I’ve got to light my arm on fire, I will — anything to get students more involved,” said Beck, a Speech sophomore.

Although Humann read a laundry list of administrators he knows and has worked with, Beck said his relationship with the administration is limited, but can be established with his “devilish good looks and charm.”

Audience members also asked candidates how well they have worked with student group leaders.

As an actor in student theater productions, Beck said he is on good footing with several theater groups. Humann said he also knows many student group leaders from past ASG experience.

Other student concerns included improving academic advising and minority representation in ASG.

If elected, Beck promised students would no long live in fear of the menacing crows.

“I have three words for the birds: ‘Bye Bye Bye,’ because I am ‘N’Sync’ with your desires,” he said.