Jancic’s clutch hitting knocks off Northern Illinois

Tuesday it was Erin Jancic.

Late inning heroics continued for the Northwestern softball team in the first game of Tuesday’s doubleheader as centerfielder Jancic broke the game open with a two-run double in the top of the seventh inning.

Siebel’s dramatic homer with two outs in the seventh inning Friday against Wisconsin sent the game into extra innings, allowing the Wildcats to prevail 2-1.

And against Northern Illinois, Jancic walloped a two-bagger to left field, bringing in freshman rightfielder Brett Nakabayashi and second baseman Mikeal Chambers. The double upped NU’s lead to 3-0, and the Cats went on to down the Huskies 4-1.

“The key was that we just hit the ball today, ” NU coach Sharon Drysdale said. “We got clutch hits from Erin and Brooke which were vital because the game was tied in the seventh inning.”

Jancic didn’t let up in the nightcap, knocking in four more runs to increase her team lead in RBIs to 19 for the season. With an RBI groundout in the first, a sacrifice fly in the second and a two-run single in the third, Jancic brought the broom out of the closet early on.

“It’s better to drive runs in with hits, but you take runs anyway you can get them,” Jancic said.

OFF TO THE RACES: The Cats had five stolen bases against a depleted Northern Illinois squad, with fleet-footed catcher Gretchen Barnes picking up a bag in each of the games. NU pushed its stolen base total up to 54 for the season, with Nakabayashi leading the Cats with a dozen.

“Well, I am the rabbit on the team,” Barnes said jokingly. “It was great because I don’t get to run too much.”

Added Drysdale: “Gretch is a smart baserunner and has good speed. She’s not fast but quick and smart, and sometimes that can be more important.”

AND THE WINNER IS … : Coming off the heels of a four-hit shutout against Minnesota Sunday, freshman pitcher Lauren Schwendimann was named the NU female athlete of the week for the second consecutive occasion. With victories against Minnesota and Wisconsin last week, and Northern Illinois Tuesday, Schwendimann, evened her season record at 7-7.

The Southern California native has been on a hot streak in recent weeks, starting with a four-hitter against No. 1 Washington on March 22. Schwendimann managed to hold the powerful Huskies offense to only one run, and the Cats took the game 4-1.

“My mentality has been, for the past couple weeks, to go out there pitching my game and getting up for it mentally,” Schwendimann said.

As a freshman trying to fill the big shoes of Siebel, who was sidelined with an ankle injury, Schwendimann’s pitching fluctuated.

After losing to Florida Atlantic and McNeese State, Schwendimann has settled into collegiate competition and has found her groove.

“The first part of the season, I had been struggling and I think that the worst part about it is knowing you can do better but not performing,” Schwendimann said. “Being able to put it out on the field is what feels good.”