Bottom line: Cats show no mercy for NIU

It was softball’s version of the figure-four leglock, as the Wildcats left Northern Illinois waving the white flag and screaming, “No más.”

In its second sweep of an opponent in three days, Northwestern (14-15, 3-1 Big Ten) put a hurtin’ on the Huskies (15-14), 4-1 and 10-2 at Mary M. Bell Field.

Yet this was no ordinary twinbill, as the frigid nightcap was called after five innings due to the eight-run rule, which ends a game if one team leads by eight or more runs at the completion of five innings.

The eight-run mercy rule kicked in after second baseman Kathryn Gross’ two-run double in the fifth inning of Game 2.

“It was really awesome to get in there and hit,” Gross said. “I don’t play everyday so it felt good to contribute in a different way than I usually do.”

The Cats jumped ahead early with two runs in the first inning, the second coming on a single to left by first baseman Jenn Shull.

By the end of the third, NU had put eight runs on the board.

With pitcher Brie Brown blanking the Huskies, NU forced its opponents into submission.

“It was tremendous,” sophomore catcher Gretchen Barnes said. “Getting the eight-run rule in 40-degree weather is unheard of.”

With the mercury falling and the sunlight dwindling in the fifth, the Cats were able to break out of a mini-offensive slump that had lasted for most of the season.

The inning began with back-to-back singles from Barnes and sophomore leftfielder Rane Gunderson. After a sacrifice grounder to advance the runners, Gross dropped the people’s elbow on Northern Illinois.

“That definitely made things a whole lot warmer,” coach Sharon Drysdale said.

In the opening contest, NU jumped out early with a first-inning run on Shull’s RBI single. The Cats took the 1-0 advantage and hopped on the back of pitcher Lauren Schwendimann, who put up a long string of zeroes.

Like a good neighbor, NU was there with crucial insurance runs in the top of the seventh inning. After two players walked, sophomore centerfielder Erin Jancic thrashed a double to left field, scoring both baserunners.

Junior Brooke Siebel followed with another two-bagger, tacking on another run to the Cats’ total.

NU came out to DeKalb with a mission to move on the basepaths. Although the Cats scored only four runs, hitters were constantly coming to bat with chances for RBIs.

“Even though in the first game we didn’t score a whole lot, we had tons of opportunities and tons of runners on base,” Gross said.

NU had several utility players, such as Gross, play a vital role in the doubleheader and lift the morale of the team as the games wore on.

“It was so much fun,” Drysdale said. “Everyone likes to see the bench have the opportunity to see what they can do because they put in the time and energy, and it’s great to see them succeed.”

Added Barnes: “When they get up to bat, everyone is cheering. It was a great team effort.”

Going into a harsh and cold environment in DeKalb, the Cats conquered yet another foe in the Huskies. After facing NU, Northern Illinois coach Donna Martin said her team “played like visitors on our home field.”

NU, which has not played a home game all season, continued its tear through opposing ballparks. Last weekend, the Cats took both games from Minnesota in Minneapolis and one of two at Wisconsin.

Playing games in Florida, Arizona and California in the last two months, the Cats have built up their morale and team unity thousands of miles away from Evanston.

“I think whether we play home or away, we’re starting to expect to win,” Jancic said. “We have our confidence as a team and building confidence as the year goes on.”

Added Drysdale: “I don’t think being on the road bothers this team at all. We’ve been on the road so much we are accustomed to it.”