Wildcats shine in 2 upsets out West

It was just one of those days.

The Northwestern softball team was shining under the California sun March 22 when it took on a tandem of ranked teams and left both squads burnt on the basepaths.

The day began with a shocking 4-1 upset over No. 1 Washington and the Wildcats (9-16) continued to ride the victory wave, downing No. 11 Cal-State Fullerton (28-7) 5-2 later that afternoon in Fullerton, Calif.

Freshman Lauren Schwendimann tossed a complete game against the Huskies (36-3), battling through a tough last frame to seal the victory for the Cats.

With the game knotted at 1, NU exploded in the bottom of the sixth inning, belting out three runs on two hits and an error. The Cats handed Washington’s All-American pitcher Jamie Graves (16-1) her first loss of the season.

“It shows that when we’re all there we can beat anyone and that we can play with anyone,” Schwendimann said. “It opened everyone’s eyes about what kind of team we can be.”

In the second victory, junior Brooke Siebel returned to the mound, throwing a seven-hit complete game in her first start of the season. Siebel had been sidelined with an ankle injury, while freshman hurlers Schwendimann and Brie Brown handled the pitching duties.

Siebel’s return could not have come at a better time, as the Cats will begin Big Ten play Friday at Wisconsin.

“The freshmen have more confidence because they look to her for leadership and guidance,” NU freshman infielder Alyson Schulz said. “She adds so much to the lineup as well.”

Siebel will bring her .340 batting average from last season to the plate as she will try to steady a fluctuating NU offense. After the sizzling wins, the Cats were outscored 13-2 the following day in a pair of losses to Cal-State Long Beach (24-11).

NU was outhit 15-3 in the first game against the 49ers, a 10-1 debacle. In the nightcap, the Cats could muster only one run when Siebel scored on a Schulz single, and Cal-State Long Beach prevailed 3-1.

“It was kind of hard going into the Long Beach State game having in the back of your mind how big of a day you had the day before,” Schwendimann said.

Agreed Schulz: “We had played so well and were expecting to play a lot better than we did. Long Beach State is a good team and nothing’s going to come easy.”

CALIFORNIA DREAMIN’: The West Coast swing was a homecoming for seven Cats who are originally from California. The trip gave several players the opportunity to play in front of friends and family.

“I got to tell all my friends that I was coming to town and they all wanted to see me play with my new team,” said Schwendimann, a native of Tustin, Calif.

Schwendimann said her high school softball team was let out of practice early to come watch the Washington game.

“It was great to have that kind of support behind me from my past and to be able to show everyone what I was doing and who I was playing with,” she said.

Schulz, a San Diego native, said the comfort level was increased by competing on fields she had previously played on — and being out in the sunshine didn’t hurt either.

Playing in a state where baby girls are given softballs to play with instead of rattles, the high level of the opposition should help NU in Big Ten play. And for a team trying to reach the postseason for the first time since 1987, playing and beating some of the best in the West could lift the Cats’ confidence if rematches should occur.

“We were going out there to earn some respect and I think we showed that we’re a school that is not just about academics,” Schulz said.

BIG TEN COUNTDOWN: The Cats will have eight days to get a second wind as they prepare for a run through the Big Ten.

With a critical weekend series at Wisconsin and Minnesota to open conference competition, NU will strive to regain the level of intensity they had out West. The Cats’ success in the conference will hinge on balancing their offensive and pitching performances.

The return of Siebel’s strong arm and bat will certainly improve NU’s chances against a strong conference led by No. 13 Michigan, which finished 51-13 last season.

Carrying three pitchers into Big Ten play will decrease the workload on the two freshmen and bring a touch of experience to the rubber.

“We definitely have a pitching staff now,” coach Sharon Drysdale said. “It allows us to match up our pitching staff better and gives us some much needed relief.”

Drysdale said hitting consistently is the key and with a full starting lineup including Siebel, the run totals should start to rise.

“She’s a big help,” Drysdale said. “Brooke is the key to the middle part of our order.”