Police Blotter: Woman charged with battery after hitting officer with urine-soaked paper towels

Julia Jacobs, Summer Editor

A 29-year-old woman was charged with battery Friday afternoon after causing a disturbance in the police station after her arrest, including kicking urine-soaked paper towels at an officer.

The woman was taken into custody at about 1 p.m. in the 600 block of Greenleaf Street by police with a warrant for her arrest, said Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan. While handcuffed to a rail at the police station, the woman demanded to know why she had been arrested then began yelling and threatening the officers, Dugan said.

Dugan said he had no further information on the woman’s initial arrest.

After the woman removed her pants and urinated on herself and the floor of the station, an officer began cleaning up the urine with paper towels. She then kicked the wet paper towels, hitting the officer, Dugan said.

The woman was charged with battery, a misdemeanor involving insulting or provoking an officer.

Three arrested in connection with residential burglary

Three men were charged with burglary Thursday afternoon after officers spotted two of them leaving an apartment building in south Evanston with a bag.

Officers were stationed near the 500 block of Hinman Avenue at about 4 p.m. surveying the area because of a nearby burglary last week when they observed the two men entering the building, Dugan said. After the two men exited the building carrying a bag and drove away, the officers confirmed that one of the apartments had been broken into, he said.

Police stopped the two men, along with another man driving the vehicle, in the 7500 block of North Western Avenue. The men, all between 46 and 63 years old, were charged with residential burglary, which is a felony, Dugan said. The stolen items included multiple watches, a bracelet and foreign currency, he added.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj