Bomb threat called into Evanston Whole Foods, EPD says area now clear

Shannon Tyler, City Editor

After evacuating employees and patrons from the Whole Foods on Chicago Avenue due to an anonymous bomb threat, Evanston Police Department said at 1:30 p.m. on Twitter that the area is now clear.

EPD first notified the community of the incident via Twitter at about 12:16 p.m., stating a threat was made to a business at Church Street and Chicago Avenue. In the tweet, EPD said a heavy police presence is on the scene as officers investigate. 

According to a news release EPD sent at 2:11 p.m., a Whole Foods employee received a phone call at 11:36 a.m. stating a bomb had been placed in the store. 

EPD followed up on Twitter at about 12:46 p.m., saying the area remains secure and encouraging people to avoid the area. At about 1:14 p.m. the department said the Cook County Bomb Squad was helping search the location. 

Northwestern alerted the University community about the threat via text and email at about 12:50 p.m., likewise asking people to stay clear, before following up with an additional email at about 1:44 p.m. saying the all-clear was given. 

At 1:30 p.m., EPD also said all traffic restrictions have been lifted in the area and detectives will continue to investigate. 

This is a developing story and will be updated as new information becomes available.

Twitter: @shannonmtyler