Blotter: Chicago man charged in connection with attempted murder

Ben Pope, Summer Editor

A Chicago man was arrested last Tuesday night in connection with an attempted first-degree murder in north Evanston.

The incident took place at an apartment building in the 2300 block of Noyes Court — one block north of the Noyes Street commercial district — according to a news release.

The victim told police officers that the suspect hit him with a pillowcase filled with cans, took out a knife and stabbed him three times, including in the neck, according to the release. The victim said the 60-year-old suspect was an acquaintance and had said, while stabbing him, that he was killing him for saying negative things about him.

The suspect was arrested after fleeing the scene, and the victim was transported to Evanston Hospital for treatment, according to the release. The suspect was charged Thursday with attempted first-degree murder and home invasion — both felonies.

Evanston man arrested in connection with aggravated assault of police officer

An Evanston man was arrested on Friday afternoon in downtown Evanston in connection with battery and aggravated assault of a police officer.

A woman told police officers she was punched by the 53-year-old man in the 1700 block of Orrington Avenue, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

The officers located the man in the 1600 block of Sherman Avenue, but he refused to stop when asked, Dugan said. He later raised his arm with a balled fist when an officer stepped in his way. After being tackled and taken into custody, the man kicked the police car and then threatened to kill an officer at the police station.

Twitter: @benpope111