Brian Lee/Daily Senior Staffer

Looking back at 2014

December 31, 2014

Welcome to The Daily’s photo blog: Captured. This will be a space to share photos by The Daily’s staff as well as photos from members of our community. Students can submit entries to be considered from their classes, vacation or just from around NU by emailing [email protected].

Take a look back at 2014 with some of The Daily’s best photographs from the year.

Brian Lee/Daily Senior StafferBrian Lee/Daily Senior Staffer

Jan. 30: Staff from Evanston Police Department and Evanston fire department gather to send off 10-year-old Julian Sims, who was diagnosed with leukemia, before his scheduled bone marrow transplant. Read the story here.

Annabel Edwards/Daily Senior StafferAnnabel Edwards/Daily Senior Staffer

Feb. 18: Communication senior Itai Joseph films a student on Feb. 12 for a video produced by Northwestern Men Against Rape and Sexual Assault to demonstrate its support for sexual assault victims on campus. Read the story here.

March 3: Sociology Prof. Laura Beth Nielsen, the director of legal studies, speaks at an open forum on Title IX in Harris Hall. Nielsen talked about ways to address sexual harassment and procedures for making Northwestern’s campus safer. Read the story here.

March 4: Students with their mouths taped shut hold signs as part of a protest of Northwestern’s sexual assault policies. The protesters met at Harris Hall before marching to the office of Sarah Mangelsdorf, the dean of Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences at the time. Read the story here.

March 7: Students kick off Block 1 of Dance Marathon 2014. Read The Daily’s full 30-hour DM coverage here.

April 10: A student samples a doughnut at Dunkin’ Donuts’ Grand Opening in Norris University Center. Read the story here.

April 23: Senior Dan Tyson starts a game against Chicago State, keeping Northwestern in the game through five innings. The Wildcats won on a Jack Mitchell walk-off single in the ninth. Read the story here.

May 16: Syndicated Traphouse performs at Mayfest’s annual Battle of the Bands competition at 27 Live. The band was chosen the winner out of seven competing to play a set at Dillo Day. Read the story here.

Caroline Olsen/The Daily NorthwesternCaroline Olsen/The Daily Northwestern

Sept. 26: Zahra Haider, events chair of Students for Justice in Palestine, listens to a list of Palestinian civilian casualties that occurred during the conflict in the Gaza Strip. SJP hosted the nondenominational service Friday to mourn the more than 2,000 Palestinian lives lost. Read the story here.

Luke Vogelzang/The Daily NorthwesternLuke Vogelzang/The Daily Northwestern

Oct. 2: President Barack Obama waves to onlookers as the presidential motorcade travels on Sheridan Road. Hundreds of students lined the street to greet the president when he visited Northwestern to give a speech about the economy. Read The Daily’s full coverage of Obama’s visit to Northwestern here.

Nathan Richards/Daily Senior StafferNathan Richards/Daily Senior Staffer

Oct. 9: Students walk past the new welcome center, which opened to visitors and prospective students on Oct. 10. Read the story here.

Sean Su/Daily Senior StafferSean Su/Daily Senior Staffer

Oct. 16: McCormick senior Mihirtej Boddupalli’s parents, center and right, mourn as members of the Northwestern community tell stories about their son at a memorial service on campus. Boddupalli died in a car accident in July at the age of 21. Read the story here.

Paige Leskin/Daily Senior StafferPaige Leskin/Daily Senior Staffer

Nov. 4: Republican Bruce Rauner speaks to a crowd of supporters at the Hilton Chicago. Rauner beat Gov. Pat Quinn to become the first GOP Illinois governor in 12 years. Read the story here.

Nov. 15: Northwestern beats Notre Dame 43-40 in a stunning victory. Read the story here.

Nov. 20: Nikko Boxall composes himself at the end of the first-round NCAA Tournament game. The loss marked the end of the Wildcats’ season. Read the story here.

The Daily Northwestern > Captured