Blotter: April 9

Julian Gerez, Assistant City Editor

Flat-screen television stolen from Evanston home

A flat-screen television worth about $1,500 was stolen from an Evanston home early Tuesday morning. 

A 31-year-old woman who lives in the home in the 1800 block of Lemar Avenue said she was watching television in the basement when she heard two loud bangs coming from the front door of the house, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. The Evanston resident told police she did not leave the basement but said a man came downstairs and displayed a handgun. The woman said the man fled through the front door but not before stealing a 60-inch flat-screen television, a different television from the one the 31-year-old was watching at the time of the burglary. 

Police said the front door of the residence was kicked in and a mesh screen was cut off of a window on the side of the house. Police are investigating the burglary, although Parrott noted the 31-year-old’s report does not appear to be consistent with the type of burglaries where firearms are displayed.

Evanston resident charged with simple battery

A 38-year-old man was arrested in connection with simple battery after an altercation over money in Evanston on Monday afternoon.

Parrott said the Evanston resident grabbed a 56-year-old man and punched him in the face at the Dempster Plaza parking lot on the corner of Dempster Street and Dodge Avenue. Police said a witness who observed the incident said the Evanston resident fled the scene. However, the 38-year-old later came into the police station, where he was arrested at 5:20 p.m.

The man is scheduled to appear in court April 25. 

Twitter: @JGerez_news