Citrus greens spring mix

What if you could write a recipe for Summer? Instead of bemoaning the fact that Evanston weather hasn’t been jive-ing lately with your Spring Quarter state-of-mind, you could just throw a few things together and conjure up the warm weather and chill vibes you crave, right in your kitchen, any time you want. If you were to write this recipe, the ingredients would most certainly be everything in this salad.

Salads are the ultimate spring/summer food. Like the season, salads make you feel light and clean; they’re colorful, they smell good, and they’re easy-going. You can throw in pretty much whatever suits you and it will usually taste pretty good. Salads are everyone’s best friend, even the control freaks – everyone can customize their salad to their exact tastes. And despite common misconceptions, most salads aren’t flavorless and bland. The good ones, like this, are vibrant and jam-packed with flavor as well as nutrition. There’s no better way to shake off the excess mental and physical weight of winter than trading in your Godiva for greens.

I’m not normally a fan of fruits mixed in with my veggies, but this salad has changed me. If you’re going to choose salad, why not shake things up by combining the unexpected? The tangy, juicy citrus makes dressing unnecessary and is balanced by the creamy, salty goat cheese. Sunflower seeds add the perfect slight crunch, while avocado smooths everything together as the perfect summery backdrop. Tossed with a mixture of flavorful arugula and nutrient-rich spinach and drizzled with a bit of olive oil, this colorful salad is the perfect way to welcome in Spring Quarter. Whether you’re a tried-and-true health nut or just want to pretend for one sunny second that you prefer salad to Steak ‘n Shake, this recipe is sure to please.

Citrus greens spring mix