That’s My Jam with Sex Week co-chairs Kelsey Sheridan and Amanda Mather

Sex Week is next week, that glorious time where free condoms and lube run abound on Northwestern’s campus. In addition to the goodies, NU students can look forward to a number of sex- and sexuality themed events presented by College Feminists. The Current sat down with Sex Week co-chairs Kelsey Sheridan (Medill ’12) and Amanda Mather (Comm ’12) to talk about sex scenes, Balkan music and Ryan Gosling.

The Current: What’s the sexiest thing about Sex Week?

Amanda Mather: Kelsey.

Kelsey Sheridan: I was going to say all the free lube we got, but Amanda. Absolutely, hands down, Amanda.

The Current: What is the theme song of Sex Week?

KS: If the Sex Week song was going to come from any artist, it would have to be of Montreal. I’m not sure if anyone else could make a Sex Week song.

The Current: What’s the best song to get it on to?

KS: I’m actually going to say the Avett Brothers song “The Day that Marvin Gaye Died.” I know that doesn’t sound sexy, but you’re just going to have to trust me. I accidentally discovered it. That’s all I’m going to say.

AM: I find it really distracting to have music on, but if I had to pick a soundtrack, it would probably be [from the band] Beirut. Something about Balkan brass bands just really does it for me.

The Current: Which movie do you think has the best sex scene?

KS: We actually have blog posts about this on our site. Mine was from the movie Latter Days. There’s like a snowstorm and the one lover goes to meet the other lover at the airport before he goes home and admits his sexuality to his Mormon family. And it’s very accurate, religiously. I like my movie sex scenes to be religiously accurate, thank you very much.

AM: Well, where Kelsey prefers religious accuracy, I prefer Ryan Gosling. I’d probably have to go with The Notebook.

The Current: What is the best post-sex snack?

KS: My ex had these chocolate mustache popsicle things, so it became our tradition that we would split a chocolate mustache popsicle.

AM: My boyfriend is a vegan. One time I made myself some popcorn and he sat down on the couch with a bowl of lettuce, but we come together over radishes. I really like radishes.

The Current: What fictional character would you most like to have sex with?

AM: Would you judge me really hard if I said Peeta?

KS: I’m going to be possibly worse and say Mr. Darcy.

Sex Week, presented by College Feminists, starts April 9 and runs until April 14. You can find out more at www.northwesternsexweek.com.

Simone Alicea