Food Column: Five ways to jazz up cookie dough

Pre-packaged cookie dough doesn’t have to be purchased for the sole purpose of soothing a battered heart or a frazzled mind. It is a multipurpose product that is perfect for anything from a gathering of girlfriends to the creation of a last-minute bake sale contribution. Cheap, easy and infallibly delicious, cookie dough is a reliable standby that’s there for you in times of need.

If your generic slice-and-bake routine is getting a little old, nothing cures the monotony like stuffing your confections with something equally, if not more, delicious. Throw a package of Immaculate Baking Co.’s organic cookie dough into your Whole Foods shopping cart (it’s organic, so it’s good for you, right?) to start your indulgent experimentations.

Here are five ways to add extra oomph to your chocolate chip cookies and make them stand out from the standard batch:

Nutella-stuffed chocolate chip cookies. On occasion, cravings come in twos. Why compromise? French bread isn’t the only home for everyone’s favorite chocolate hazelnut spread. Place 1 to 2 teaspoons of Nutella on a flattened ball of cookie dough and fold the edges around it until covered completely. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes and swoon at the first bite of this match made in cookie heaven.

Oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies. Combat even the most vicious sweet tooth by combining these two sweet standards. Simply sandwich each Oreo with two flattened cookie dough balls and bake for 8 to 12 minutes until edges are golden brown. Surprises don’t get much more pleasant than this.

S’mores-stuffed chocolate chip cookies. You don’t have to rough it in the wilderness to find that rustic sweet taste of s’mores: Just combine it with a cookie to get a less messy, more tasty treat. Make mini-s’mores by sandwiching a three-bar row of a Hershey’s bar and a halved large marshmallow between two graham cracker quarters. Encase in cookie dough, bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until center is cooked through, and savor the flavor of an authentic campfire creation from the comfort of your kitchen.

PB pretzel-stuffed chocolate chip cookies. These addictive nuggets are a cheap salty-sweet fix that’s practically begging to be baked into something of more substance. Place one or two peanut butter-stuffed pretzel nuggets on a flattened cookie dough ball and fold the edges around it until enclosed. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Buy pretzels in bulk for a recipe that never stops giving.

Brownie-stuffed chocolate chip cookies. This one-aisle, five-ingredient recipe is a scrumptious no-brainer with its buttery crisp exterior and fudgy brownie hidden inside. Just grab a box of your favorite brownie mix in addition to your cookie dough, bake according to the box instructions, and enclose the resulting brownie bites in a sandwich of two flattened cookie dough balls. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until edges are golden brown, and prepare to wash down 12 to 16 very large cookies with a tall glass of milk.