Graduation ‘surreal,’ ‘bittersweet’ for new alumni

Jordan Turgeon completed her master of science in journalism this December but flew back to Evanston for her diploma and one final walk across the stage in Cahn Auditorium.

“I knew that I wanted to come back,” said Turgeon, who will work at The Huffington Post directly after graduating. “Between high school and undergrad and this, I think this is the most important graduation. Just because of the significance of it and the impact it has on your career. It’s the hardest I’ve ever worked for a degree. And you get to wear really cool hoods.”

For several graduate students, this ceremony had a more professional focus than ones they’ve experienced before.

It’s different when getting a master’s degree because graduates might be facing the work force for the first time, said Nicole Rohr, who graduated with a master of science in journalism.

As she prepares to enter this tough economy, the advice Rohr heard from various graduation speakers resonated more strongly for her than it would have a few years ago. Rohr will embark on new job with the Chicago Board of Trade after leaving Evanston.

“In the current job market, it’s not a great time to be graduating,” she said. “But it’s also an exciting time because you can take more unique opportunities as they come your way that maybe you haven’t thought of before.”

Despite hard times that lay may lay ahead, parents like Glenn Byron are basking in the moment.

Byron, who traveled from California, said he was filled with pride watching his daughter receive her diploma.

“It’s very emotional. Obviously we’re very happy to see her complete this portion of her life and move on and become a contributor to society,” he said.

These feeling are only exemplified by all the other graduations leading up to this one, he said.

“High school was a step along the way to here,” he said. “Not that this is the final culmination, but certainly it’s a big step along the way.”

For several undergraduates, the process is bittersweet.

“It’s really surreal,” said Alanna Byrne, who graduated with a bachelor’s degree in journalism. “Just to have been somewhere for four years, and all of sudden you’re graduating and leaving. But it’s been great and a lot of fun to see all your friends together, everyone’s family together and everyone to be recognized. Faculty also enjoy meeting the families of their students.”

SESP Prof. David Figlio said his favorite part of graduation is interacting with the families of his undergraduate students. Graduation weekend is often the first and only opportunity he has to see them in person.

But some students don’t buy into the glitz and glamour of graduation weekend.

“I’m just ready to get it over with,” journalism graduate Thao Nguyen said. “I don’t feel as emotional as I do as my high school graduation. It’s a lot more nerve-wracking. I’m happy, but I don’t have a job yet. When I graduated high school I had somewhere to go after the summer, but now I don’t so it’s kind of a bittersweet moment. It’s more for my parents than it is for me.”