One Book’ author Tracy Kidder discusses the life of humanitarian

By the age of 44, physician and anthropologist Paul Farmer founded a hospital in Haiti, started an international nonprofit organization and saved countless lives. While this may not be everyone’s path in life, Farmer’s biographer Tracy Kidder offered encouraging words to Northwestern students and Evanston residents Thursday evening.

“You don’t need to reproduce Paul Farmer’s actions but his message,” he said to more than 450 people in Harris Hall, 1881 Sheridan Rd., and two additional overflow rooms. “One small group can improve the world. You are all in school to help the world.”

Kidder’s book about Farmer, “Mountains Beyond Mountains,” was this year’s selection for One Book One Northwestern, a community-wide initiative to promote discussion within the NU community about a different book each year.

During the speech, Kidder described the events of Farmer’s life, including Farmer’s work for international health organization Partners in Health, mentioned in the book. Kidder emphasized that because we’re all human, we must help each other in times of need.

“I think it’s important not to judge but to understand,” he said.

Kidder detailed his experiences traveling back and forth between Haiti, America and France with Farmer. They visited hospitals, and Kidder often accompanied Farmer on visits to his patients.

The author showed pictures of rebuilt homes and individuals who were cured from diseases – the products of the positive impact of Partners In Health.

“I always said photographs are unfair competition for authors,” Kidder said in response to the audience’s surprised reaction to the photographs.

The author expressed admiration for Farmer not only for his role in Partners In Health and his involvement in Haiti’s public health, but also for the constant sacrifices he makes.

Kidder said that in researching Farmer, he continually looked for character flaws and was never able to find anything significant.

“He doesn’t like making the personal sacrifices, but he still makes them,” Kidder said. “Where’s the catch? Where’s the dirty secret? But the truth is, I didn’t find one. I followed him and even interviewed his critics but all respected and admired him.”

Kidder also explained why he waited so long to make Farmer, whom he met years before writing “Mountains Beyond Mountains,” his subject.

“The good provokes, and it makes us not think about things we don’t want to think about,” he said. “I met Paul Farmer and knew I would write about him, but I didn’t right away. I waited six years, and it was because of Haiti. I knew following Paul Farmer around would disturb my peace of mind.”

Communication senior Elisa Redish, who was also an usher for the speech, said the event ran smoothly, although she did not expect the large turnout.

Weinberg senior Walter Furness said One Book One Northwestern helps to unify NU students.

“Overall it was a great speech” he said. “I liked hearing about the background of the making of the book. Also, coming to hear Kidder speak is a great way to stay involved with what’s going on in the campus.”

Kidder said the experience of writing the book and following Farmer greatly impacted his life.

“The story of Paul Farmer’s life to me seems like an adventure,” he said. “A moral adventure.”