Happiness Club distributes bubbles, gum at the Rock

If there’s something better than blowing bubbles, chewing bubble gum and drawing with chalk, Northwestern students haven’t found it. At least, that was the idea behind the Happiness Club’s Bubbles and Bubblegum event Wednesday afternoon.

“I’ve been very stressed with reading and deadlines and assignments. It’s so refreshing to be surrounded by such a happy scene,” said Kofi Asante, a sociology graduate student.

The Happiness Club was founded during Winter Quarter of 2008 by former Daily staffer Ben Larrison, Medill ‘09, to help students engage in “random and fun activities rather spontaneously,” according to club’s website.

“This is our first event of the school year and it’s a fun way to be outside and get people’s attention,” said McCormick junior Alex Wilson, the club’s president. “We wanted to spice it up so we added bubble gum and bubble-everything. We even have bubble-wrap.”

Bubbles and Bubblegum was the club’s first event of the year and lasted from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., drawing in students from all over campus. Volunteers greeted passersby with buckets of bubble gum, smiling faces and clouds of glimmering bubbles.

“I’m really happy!” Weinberg freshman and Happiness Club member Kristina Nolte said. “I love being happy and I love making others happy. I love bubbles and bubble gum – basically anything with the word ‘bubble’ in it!”

Everyone nearby seemed to get into the spirit, encouraging others to get involved.

“The whole purpose of this day is to remind people that every day should be bubbling over with happiness,” SESP sophomore Tori Romba said.

As the event continued, more and more students began walking by. Some just watched, while others were interested in relaxing and letting off some steam. A student on a bike snatched a bubble wand and blew a cloud of bubbles mid-pedal.

Wilson said he was also considering bubble-wrapping the Rock.

“I love stuff like this,” Communication junior Shivani Banker said. “I love going to the library and seeing people play with beach balls. Look at these kids. What’s better than bubble gum and bubbles?”