Fishbain: Outback Bowl tops list of the best games for 2010

It’s that nostalgic time of year to look back at what we seniors have accomplished, and in this instance, what the class of 2010 has seen and celebrated as Northwestern fans. This is far from a scientific ranking, and let’s face it, not only the football team can be called the “Cardiac Cats.” There are plenty of great games omitted from this list, but with that said, let’s take a look at the top five NU athletic contests of the last four years.

No. 5: Jake Herbert’s NCAA Championship match in 2007.You might have forgotten this one back from Spring Break our freshman year, but Herbert dominated the NCAA Championships all the way to the 184-pound title over Jake Varner of wrestling-powerhouse Iowa State. Herbert’s title was also NU’s first individual national championship in 17 years and illustrated Herbert’s incredible talent on the mats.

No. 4: John Shurna’s game-winning three pointer to beat Ohio State in 2009.Last season the Cats were still competing for a spot in the NCAA Tournament against Evan Turner and a Buckeyes team that typically dominates NU. Craig Moore hit seven 3-pointers against Jon Diebler’s eight, but it was freshman Shurna who hit a 3 from the corner with 3.3 seconds left that gave the Cats a thrilling victory. Last year, Shurna was an unknown before his breakout sophomore campaign, making his shot that much more improbable.

No. 3: Brendan Smith’s pick-six gives NU the win over Minnesota in 2008.No C.J. Bachér, no Tyrell Sutton, no problem. Fans did not expect a victory in Minnesota after a devastating loss to Indiana, but then NU was reintroduced to Mike “Crazy Legs” Kafka as he ran all over the 20th-ranked Gophers’ defense for 217 yards. Despite Kafka’s record performance, the game came down to one crazy final play. Minnesota quarterback Adam Weber attempted a pass over the middle with 26 seconds left that was deflected and grabbed by Smith. The Cats’ safety followed his blockers and weaved his way into the end zone, sealing the victory with 12 seconds left in arguably the best play in our four years at NU.

No. 2: Meredith Frank’s sudden death goal defeats Pennsylvania in the NCAA Semifinals in 2009.Without a doubt the best team the class of 2010 has witnessed is the lacrosse dynasty that has won five straight national championships. But that streak almost ended last year in the NCAA semifinals against Pennsylvania. Down 12-11 in the final seconds of the first overtime, Katrina Dowd had one of the best plays you’ll ever see, falling into the crease and flipping the ball between the pipes to tie the game. Then in sudden death overtime, Frank’s third goal of the contest clinched the Cats’ trip to the title match. There, NU pummeled North Carolina for its fifth straight championship.

No. 1: NU loses heartbreaking but thrilling Outback Bowl to Auburn in 2010.The first bowl game of the new decade was the most heartbreaking defeat we’ve witnessed, with the 2008 Alamo Bowl finishing a close second. While it’s still difficult to discuss, the Outback Bowl was the greatest game played by NU in our four years. A handful of the best plays we’ve seen as students took place on that fateful day in Tampa, including Brian Peters’ one-handed interception and Drake Dunsmore’s incredible touchdown catch and run. NU should have lost that game many times yet kept coming back in shocking fashion. Simply put, there is no game we seniors will discuss for years to come more often than the Outback Bowl. It is etched into our minds and unfortunately will never be forgotten.

Sports Columnist Kevin Fishbain is a Medill senior. He can be reached at [email protected].