Northwestern synchronized skaters draw 200 people at exhibition

Northwestern University Synchronized Skating Team drew a crowd to its annual exhibition Saturday, said Jessica Swenson, team captain and club president.

“That is the largest amount of people we ever had at one of our shows,” the McCormick senior said. “It was better than previous years because all of our routines were a lot more exciting and original.”

The skating team also goes by the name “Northwestern Purple Line,” Swenson said. The team performed several routines, including solo and small group dances.

The group rented a bus this year to take NU students to and from the Robert Crown Community Center and Ice Complex, 1701 Main St., where the exhibition was held. About 200 people attended, skater Terri Shih said.

Many team members skated competitively in high school in front of big crowds, which diminish in collegiate competitions, Shih said.

“Even though it wasn’t necessarily a competition, it was a really important event for us,” the Communication junior said. “The crowd was so personalized. Everyone had a lot of support.”

The event opened with the team’s competition routine set to “A Chorus Line,” Shih said.

“It was clearly something that they put a lot of work into,” said Megan Dunham, who attended to support her roommate.

The team also skated creatively, the McCormick junior said, with small groups performing a ’90s routine and a program called “The Asian Medley,” celebrating the Asian heritage shared by many of the team’s members.

It was a great show without any serious falls, Swenson said.

“I just loved it,” she said. “The show went very smoothly and I was very happy with how the team threw it together.”[email protected]