Panther funny, but still searching for a plot

Caitlin Smith, 2005-2007

For 30 years the Pink Panther series has made its mark through physical humor and stupidity. Its newest installment, the first since 1978, is little more than that, although director Shawn Levy does a good job reviving the classic series.

Pink Panther is an enjoyable trip to the theater only if you realize ahead of time that a plausible storyline is essentially nonexistent and the laughs will come at the expense of goofball bodily injury and mishaps.

Despite not being destined for major awards, Steve Martin, as the infamously blundering yet strangely lovable Inspector Clouseau, is pretty darn funny. His age is not an issue; Martin tumbles, fumbles and bumbles his way through the movie, wooing the beautiful (and much younger) ladies he meets and tracking dangerous murderers. Martin is the perfect man to continue the legacy Peter Sellers established – he makes Clouseau an overzealous, foolish and completely stupid character.

This time around, Clouseau is assigned to track down the murderer of Yves Gluant (Jason Statham), the coach of the French national soccer team, and to find the Pink Panther diamond that disappeared when Gluant was murdered. Clouseau, handpicked by the Parisian Chief Inspector Dreyfus (Kevin Kline), is appointed as a figurehead only so that Dreyfus can secretly track down the killer and claim the glory for himself.

Clouseau, of course, believes he has been chosen for his merits. His overinflated ego and natural aloofness carry him through a nonsensical investigation that takes him all over Paris and New York City, chasing the soccer team and Xania (Beyonce Knowles), Gluant’s girlfriend.

One of the most entertaining and awkward scenes is the seduction between Clouseau and Xania. Martin and Beyonce? Interestingly believable.

While it’s no cinematic masterpiece, Pink Panther is good for a handful of laughs. And that’s about all we should expect from Inspector Clouseau.