Police Blotter: Man charged with possession of heroin, marijuana

Joanne Lee, Reporter

A 21-year-old man was arrested Friday night in connection with possession of heroin and marijuana.

Police stopped a vehicle at about 10 p.m. for a minor traffic violation in the 7500 block of N Western Avenue on the border of Chicago and Evanston, when they smelled unburned marijuana on the passenger, said Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan. Police found a clear bag containing six individual baggies each containing 1.2 grams of what police think was heroin, Dugan said.

When the man was arrested, police also found 2.9 grams of marijuana.

The man was charged with two felonies for possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver and a misdemeanor for possession of marijuana.

Car stolen in central Evanston

A car was stolen Sunday morning after its owner left it unattended in central Evanston.

A 35-year-old Chicago resident parked her car and left the engine running in the 1400 block of Chicago Avenue at about 10:45 a.m., when it was stolen, Dugan said. Another car pulled up, and an unknown man got out of the passenger seat, jumped into her car and took off, he said. The car was last seen driving westbound on Greenwood Avenue.

Small fire extinguished in Evanston park

A small fire broke out Saturday night at an Evanston park.

Police responded to the fire located near the sandlot of the Southwest Park in the 500 block of Wesley Avenue at about 8:15 p.m., Dugan said. Officers found on the scene the plastic edge of the sandbox melted, a bottle of lighter fluid, a burnt log and a burnt skateboard, he said.

Twitter: @leehjoanne