Captured: Chicago poet Kevin Coval, student artists kick off Art Box

May 7, 2017

Welcome to The Daily’s photo blog: Captured. This will be a space for The Daily’s photographers to share their best work, including photos from weekend performances and events around the community. You can contact the photographers by emailing [email protected]

Northwestern DJ group Dial Up and student rapper Prez Harris teamed up with Chicago poet Kevin Coval on Friday for the opening event of this year’s ArtBox.

Katie Pach/Daily Senior Staffer

The event, hosted by NU’s Arts Alliance and A&O Productions, marked the kickoff of the second annual ArtBox, a series of performances and art installations running out of a shipping container on the Lakefill. The two groups hope ArtBox will continue to grow and foster a greater community on campus, A&O co-chair Will Corvin said.

Katie Pach/Daily Senior Staffer

Katie Pach/Daily Senior Staffer

Despite the windy, 55-degree weather, more than 40 students came out to watch student performers and listen to poetry from Coval.

“We got Kevin Coval good to go on ArtBox, but he also said that he wanted more artists around and kind of make it a bigger deal,” Corvin, a Weinberg senior, said. “So we decided it would be a great opportunity to bring Prez Harris and some other artists around campus to make it a bigger event.”

Katie Pach/Daily Senior Staffer

Prez Harris, a stage name for McCormick senior Randall Harris, is known for his laid-back flow and clean lyrics, according to the rapper’s Facebook page. He released his debut mixtape, “State of the Union,” in 2015.

Coval, a local poet and community builder, gave a reading of his poems, which highlight the communal nature of Chicago’s hip-hop scene and the nonstop energy of the city. He read some of his work from his newest book, “A People’s History of Chicago.”

Katie Pach/Daily Senior Staffer

Corvin said ArtBox is both an opportunity to recognize artists from across campus and to relax on the Lakefill. McCormick sophomore Omar Carey, who attended the event, said he enjoyed the opportunity to just “chill out.”

Katie Pach/Daily Senior Staffer

“It’s definitely like very lowkey, not formal at all,” Carey said.

ArtBox programming, which runs through June 5, is open to all artists on campus regardless of medium, Corvin said.
Katie Pach/Daily Senior Staffer

Katie Pach/Daily Senior Staffer