Fencing: Northwestern scores four wins at Philadelphia Invitational

Seeger Gray/Daily Senior Staffer

Northwestern saw four victories at the Philadelphia Invitational this weekend.

Kunjal Bastola, Assistant Sports Editor

Northwestern Fencing competed at the Philadelphia Invitational hosted by the University of Pennsylvania last night. The team competed against various different colleges, including New York University, Princeton University, St. John’s University, Penn, Columbia University and Yale University.

The Cats scored four wins during the meet: 20-7 against NYU, 19-8 against St. John’s, 14-13 against Penn and 14-13 against Yale. The team completed the invitational with only two losses, one wide 5-22 to Princeton and another narrow 13-14 to Columbia. 

Key points against the Violets came from the saber and epeé categories, with 8 and 7 points, respectively. Against St. John’s, the saber and foil categories each scored 7 points. To defeat Penn, the saber and foil categories scored highest, with 6 points each. The saber and epeé categories scored 5 and 6 points, respectively, to contribute to the win against Yale.

Next on the slate for the Cats is the DeCicco Duals, hosted by Notre Dame, followed by the NU Duals at home. The Cats have a couple more competitions before Junior Olympics in February and the NCAA Championships in March.  

Twitter: @kunjal_bastola