Northwestern COVID-19 positivity rate stable amid decreasing testing on campus

Ava Mandoli/The Daily Northwestern

COVID-19 testing numbers continued to decline amid a plateauing positivity rate.

Angeli Mittal, Creative Director

Northwestern’s COVID-19 positivity rate has remained stable, while testing numbers have declined amid no University policy change in testing or masking.

This week’s positivity rate of 5.12% represents a 0.05 percentage point decline from last week’s 5.17% and a 0.79 percentage point decrease from 5.91% the week before.

Though new positive cases this week again declined to 189 positives — compared to last week’s 227 — the number of tests received continued to decrease to about 3,700 tests. This figure represents a 16% decrease from last week, which is a similar proportion to the decrease seen between the two previous weeks.

Of the 189 NU cases, undergraduate students continue to comprise the largest share of new positives at 86 cases. Non-undergraduate students account for about 24% of cases at 46. Staff members constitute 41, while faculty account for 16.

NU students, faculty and staff can receive free, in-person asymptomatic testing at the Donald P. Jacobs Center from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m on weekdays. Those with symptoms should use the northwest side testing entrance at the Jacobs Center to receive in-person testing between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. on weekdays.

Twitter: @amittal27