Students petition for Compass workers to have access to N95 masks

Daily file illustration by Angeli Mittal

As of Tuesday night, more than 70 students signed the petition.

Isabel Funk, Campus Editor

Students started a petition Monday urging Northwestern grant Compass Group workers access to asymptomatic testing sites, take-home rapid test boxes and N95 and KN95 masks.

As of Tuesday night, more than 70 students signed the petition, which cites concerns like the high number of positive COVID-19 cases on campus during Wildcat Wellness and the prevalence of the omicron variant. 

“Compass workers make incredible sacrifices and work many hard hours to help make sure that NU students are cared for and have access to everything we need, from maintaining the dorms, providing food, and cleaning the school,” the petition said.

In an email to The Daily, University spokesperson Jon Yates said access to N95 and KN95 masks is up to Compass, the University’s food service provider, and not a University matter.

Compass workers continue to be able to utilize the testing resources at the (Donald P.) Jacobs Center in Evanston and at 345 E. Superior St. in Chicago at no cost to them,” Yates said. 

Last week, the University reported 686 new positive COVID-19 cases. NU resumed in-person classes and activities Tuesday. The University announced Thursday it would provide all students with two KN95 masks.

Compass is working with the University to provide all Compass workers with access to testing as needed, Compass Group District Marketing Manager Sophia Bamiatzis said in an email to The Daily.

“In accordance with the latest Northwestern mask policies, all associates are provided with, at minimum, disposable three ply surgical masks,” Bamiatzis said. “Additionally, associates will soon have access to a limited quantity of KN95 masks.”

Twitter: @isabeldfunk