Upcoming campus events this holiday season

Meher Yeda/The Daily Northwestern

Campus is buzzing with holiday cheer.

Joanna Hou, Reporter

The holiday season is in full swing at Northwestern. From student-hosted performances to universitywide events, here’s The Daily’s guide to holiday celebrations on campus this year. 

Community Service 

Shop Local BINGO 

Norris University Center is hosting a Shop Local BINGO game on Dec. 3 from 3 to 4:30 p.m. The University will hand out gift cards from small businesses around Evanston. There will also be other giveaways, including free food. 

Holiday Drive 

Weinberg senior Karina Karbo-Wright is organizing a Holiday Drive with food, decorations and other goods for low-income NU students and Evanston and Chicago residents. The drive is on Dec. 4 from 12 to 4 p.m. in Parkes Hall 122, in cooperation with Associated Student Government. 

“Northwestern does not do a ton for poor students on campus and relatively nothing for poor faculty and even less for poor people they often displace around Evanston,” Karbo-Wright, ASG’s executive officer of justice and inclusion, said. “As ASG’s trying to become more justice-centered, I think mutual aid is a really important pillar of practicing justice and equity.” 

Participants can take home 20 free items from the drive. Political education services will also be available.

Karbo-Wright said they are still looking for volunteers to help run the drive. Interested volunteers can email them at [email protected]

Student Performances 

Bienen Holiday Concerts 

The Bienen School of Music is holding holiday concerts on Saturday and Sunday. They are free and open to all. 

At 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Pick-Staiger Concert Hall will host a concert featuring Northwestern University Symphony Orchestra. Read more here

On Sunday, at Alice Millar Chapel, “A Festival of Lessons and Carols” will start at 10:40 a.m. Read about it here.

Jazz Nutcracker 

Students in the New Movement Project are presenting a twist on the Nutcracker. Musicians are playing jazz arrangements of Pyotr Tchaikovsky’s suite, accompanied by jazz dancers. Bienen senior Albert Kuo, McCormick senior Erin Mohr and McCormick and Communication senior Madeline Durmowicz are leading the effort. 

“It has everything you could possibly want. You know, the music’s fantastic. The dancing is gonna be phenomenal,” Mohr said. “It’s a holiday classic reimagined, so you recognize it, but it feels brand new.” 

Watch their performances at 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Friday and Saturday in the Wirtz Ballroom. 

Other events 

RUF International Student Christmas Party 

On Friday at 6:30 p.m., international students can enjoy a Christmas party hosted by the Reformed University Fellowship in The Great Room. RUF will serve dinner with vegetarian options and host Christmas activities for the event.

Cocoa, Coffee, & Cookies 

As part of the fall exam relief series, Norris is hosting a snack session to help students de-stress and prepare for their finals. The first 25 students to register receive free NU mugs. All other attendees can also enjoy hot drinks and cookies. This event takes place on Monday from 2 to 3:30 p.m. on the ground floor of Norris. 

Twitter: @joannah_11